Beginner Milling Necessities

I didn't see any mention of a vice. No, not that kind of vice. The clamping kind. Money spent on a vice will be well spent. Don't scrimp. I've been out of the trade long enough that I'm sure new products are available, I don't have any recommendations.

Mia Culpa, I still think a very good vise is far better than a cheap one.

Last edited:
The OP posted they ordered a vise, collets, and a clamping set with their mill.

I can recommend the 4" Shars 440V as a friend has bought this and he has been very pleased with it. It has a 6" opening (the older 440V's did not have such a large opening). The only downside is that I believe it is a standard 60° thread and not an ACME leadscrew . I have two Glacern 4" vises which I find work great.

I didn't see mention of a decent indicator stand, a dead center for aligning the spindle with pre existing holes, a counter sink set, an arbor for slitting saws and some blades also will go a long way. I would also recommend adding a good worklight in order to save your eyesight.

The above items are relatively cheap and greatly increase the tasks you can carry out with your mill. For me, the mill needs to be a jack of all trades and needs to function as a secondary drill press in order to avoid having to change set-ups.

Another item I highly recommend to the beginner who wants the mill to double as a drill press is this clamp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-DRILL-PRESS-VICE-GRIP-LOCKING-CLAMP-Hold-Fast-Precision-/141543318033

These allow you to securely clamp odd jobs for drilling very quickly and safely. I also recommend a relatively flat piece of wood to use as an underlay when drilling. When you see sawdust, stop. This will save your table from damage.

Paul.

Once upon a time, we had a thread dedicated to startup needs for both lathe and mill. I'll see if a search can turn it up. It as full of great suggestions and pretty much had it all covered.

Just to keep you guys updated, I ordered a new indicator holder (Noga), test indicator, surface plate, and a boring set (head, shank, and bars). I also threw some V-blocks in there so I can securely clamp round stock.

I'm hoping that will wrap up my first round of purchases. I foresee a set of numbered drill bits in my near future though.

Two words: "flea market". Also "junk shop" and "estate sale" (OK, that's six words). I've gotten all kinds of useful stuff (end mills, tool bits, indicators, etc. from flea markets and junk shops. For example, $20 for dozens of tool bits and endmills... even if half were junk (and they were), still worth it for the good ones. $10 for a perfect Albrecht keyless chuck (another $10 to ebay for an R8 mandrel for it), $10 to the same junk shop for a power hacksaw needing minor restoration. The nice thing is you find stuff you weren't looking for, didn't know you need, then six months later you're really glad you have.

For sure FanMan. I've been talking with my boss (another avid home machinist) and I'm sure we'll plan a couple trips in the future to go scavenge for tooling at estate sales and the like.

The tooling has been rolling in. I received my drill bit set yesterday and was quite pleased. I got these through fellow forum member davidh. It's a fractional set of American made 135 degree split point stub bits. The quality is superb, and for the price, I'll be looking to expand my collection in the near future. Shoot him a message if you're in the market for some drill bits.

Nice set of bits!
sweet score!!!:D

If you have not already discovered, a Shop Vac is an absolute necessity unless you want the Facility Manager, better known as she-who-must-be-obeyed, on your case like coolant on a deep cut. You will be amazed at how agile those chips are and how far they can run into the house even when you watch for them! Those glittering chips can be seen by a blind man on a dark night and the eagle eyes of of the Facility Manager are the envy of a Marine Drill Sergeant. Better put that high on the list of things to get or you'll wish you had.

Back