Beginner Hobby Machinist Looking at a Cincinnati Mill. Can anyone tell me about this model?

Close inspection of the leading pictures, that does not appear to be stock. The base of the quill should have a 2 1/16" collet retaining nut. There is no drawbar. So what in the world is in that spindle, and what's holding it there?

Good catch @RandyWilson. I found some 1B videos online. None of them look like that. Not sure what that is, but it could be a problem.

I would say that if it's not too far away, go have a look-see at what they have. Other than the fear of that spindle, these are very worthwhile stout machines.

Get that cleaned up and you should never loose money on it! Enjoy. In over 50 years in the trade, I have never run one of those!

Richard
I have never seen one of those in the 25 plus years in the trades

That machine looks like it has a Bridgeport quick change tool holder and the chuck is on a Jacobs taper Bridgeport quick change arbor.

Those Bridgeport parts alone are worth $250, maybe $300.

And if you kept the machine can buy the Bridgeport quick change collets for different sizes eliminating the issue of the odd spindle bore. Because you would just leave in the Bridgeport quick change and switch out the adapters.

Check eBay "Bridgeport quick change"

Definitely look for a box of those adapters somewhere around there, may have $1000 worth of those.Image 12-19-20 at 7.53 AM.jpeg

Last edited:
Friggin' interesting. The original spindle has a fairly standard bore taper. I wanna say 24/7. the nose nut is 30 degrees. The taper is the same as a Cat40 / NMTB40. I took a Cat40 ER32 collet holder and whittled it down to fit. But doing that still uses the stock spindle nut and lock system.

Here's the weird part. The 1B head has a boss behind the spindle that holds the spindle lock, effectively a dead bolt to hold the spindle still for collet changes. Not only is the spindle lock mechanism missing, the entire boss is gone. The rest of the head is 1B; it's a totally unique power quill design that wasn't used on any other Cinci. But the boss has been cut off. So the question is what else did they change, and how good of a job did they do?

If the Bridgeport quick change is used there is no need to lock the spindle to change because it works like a drill chuck

Maybe they knew that, planned to use it that way, and didn’t need to have the lock.

Sometimes asking a few questions you can find a prior owner to tell the story.

I use those Bridgeport quick change systems on my Bridgeport as well as my CNC RF 30 in the R8 spindles. They are very nice

The question is how did they attach that quick change to the original spindle. The spindle is not R8. Nor is it hollow. There is no draw bar, so the adapter will have to be retained from the bottom. Yet it appears they removed the bottom retaining system. That is the quandary.

cinci-1b-taper.jpg cinci-1b-spindle.jpg

Last edited:
Back