Becoming hobby machinist in the near future.

From what I can tell it is fairly level in the garage, there is a very slight slope in the driveway away from the house though, and the driveway slope towards the house until about 6 feet to the house, so the delivery guy has mostly a downward hill to get to the house.

Moving the mill was intimidating, and the lathe is bigger and more awkwardly shaped, I plan to take my time and call a friend or two to help.

I am pretty lucky that my slab was re-poured after a plane hit my home a few year back. From what I can tell it is fairly level in the garage, there is a very slight slope in the driveway away from the house though, and the driveway slope towards the house until about 6 feet to the house, so the delivery guy has mostly a downward hill to get to the house.

Moving the mill was intimidating, and the lathe is bigger and more awkwardly shaped, I plan to take my time and call a friend or two to help.

That doesn't happen everyday!

I just did a Google search, unless it happened more then once. Your lucky you or your family didn't didn't get hurt or killed.

I enjoy your thread, keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing your lathe.

That doesn't happen everyday!

I just did a Google search, unless it happened more then once. Your lucky you or your family didn't didn't get hurt or killed.

I enjoy your thread, keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing your lathe.
Lucky indeed, my son was less than 10 feet from the point of impact playing games with a female friend. The pilot died in the crash, and his passenger survived with a broken spin in multiple places and a few other broken bones. He is doing well now.

The screws arrived for the Power Feed. The smallest ones were too long :( but that is easy to solve on the grinder...

Spent about an hour to finish installing the power feed and to test it. Might need tweaking later but currently seems to run smoothly and stops when it encounters the end stops as it should.

The lathe was last scene departing Chicago IL. I was suppose to spend today prepping for its arrival, but got distracted inspecting beehives and trying to prevent them from swarming (yet another hobby that takes a lot of time).

PowerFeedInstalled.jpg

Thanks, the thread was basically my experience starting to become a hobby machinist, I think a few diversions are to be expected.
Crap, my bad, I thought that this was the long thread about retiring, which is also here. Sorry, and carry on, sir.

Crap, my bad, I thought that this was the long thread about retiring, which is also here. Sorry, and carry on, sir.
LOL, well it is the goal to retire and play with machines that if used wrong can maim or kill you, and if used right can make retirement rather entertaining.

Seriously which topic are you most interested in because I can try and keep to topic that people want to read.

Update: Delivery of a PM1340GT occurred today. The poor driver almost could not get it off the truck (1500 lbs shipment).

I uncrated the machine and cleaned up according to the instructions, oiled it, and now I need to wait until a friend will come over to help me move it from the palette to the stand. Hopefully Saturday night.

pm1340GT001.jpg

pm1340GT002.jpg

pm1340GT003.jpg

pm1340GT004.jpg

Hmm, wrong way around...

Looks well packaged and got there safe and sound.

Awesome!
I should have taken more photos unpacking. There was damage done to the box on the top (the DRO) by a shipping strap friction for 3000 miles, but no damage to the contents. The stand had minor damage of the logo sticker (again from friction). So far everything else appears good. On part of the lower pallet had a broken crossbeam which surprized me because it was on the lighter side. That could have been cause by loading for all I know, but since it is on a double palette I am pretty sure the machine did not even notice.
So in other words it made the trip in fantastic condition.

I should have taken more photos unpacking. There was damage done to the box on the top (the DRO) by a shipping strap friction for 3000 miles, but no damage to the contents. The stand had minor damage of the logo sticker (again from friction). So far everything else appears good. On part of the lower pallet had a broken crossbeam which surprized me because it was on the lighter side. That could have been cause by loading for all I know, but since it is on a double palette I am pretty sure the machine did not even notice.
So in other words it made the trip in fantastic condition.
Congratulations! You are about 3 months ahead of me.
My 1340GT is scheduled to arrive in PA early to mid July.
I’m about 7-8 hours drive short of you from PA, how long did it take for the shipment to go from PA to WA?

Edit: I went back through this thread and found where you stated that it shipped on the 28th of April, so only 8 days or so.

Last edited:
You will love the machine. I had belt interference inside the bottom edge of the cover when the belt stretched, and I dropped the motor down to tighten the tension. It was probably interfering, or close to it when the belt was new, so check that. The bolt holes to align the cover where snug, and I opened them up a tad also.

Back