basic bandsaw question

Keep your eyes open and one will turn up I got this for $40 and put it into good order in about an hour , I had to tap for the guide holding screws and adjust it.I had just enough link belt to belt it ...It was being scrapped ....lot's of tools are being thrown away .....The blade is still good ...

SB drill press 003.JPG

I have the 4x6 and a vertical 14" with a riser block (well, and one of their portables as well.) I was using the 14" for metal for a while until I got the 4x6. It has several speeds but the lowest is still a bit fast for steel. Was ok for aluminum.

I love the 4x6. Had to fiddle a bit for setup (and make a new knob to replace broken in shipping tension knob) The table that came with it for vertical cutting is a bit lame and I have never tried it. The legs a bit wimpy but my only real complaint is that I didn't buy it sooner.

That is one thing I dont have on mine (not surprised as it cost almost nothing as some bits were missing) is a vertical cutting table. Does anyone have any pics of it, or pics of ones they have made ? Would love to be able to set it up to do small vertical stuff.

The venerable HF bandsaw can and will do a considerable amount of pretty decent work. The 4X6 Yahoo group has a published procedure to tune and adjust these saws and they really come into their own once it has been done. It takes about an hour to do and will correct all but the most severe issues with these saws. The solution for the crummy stand was to remove the flimsy metal legs and bolt it to the top of a 2 drawer file cabinet that I had added a set of wheels to on a square tube frame. The wider stance of the tube frame eliminates any tipping tendencies and makes the machine much more solid and a real pleasure to work with. I usually try to buy my material in uncut industrial lengths from the metal yard because it is actually cheaper to buy it that way and it allows you to cut whatever length you need to build your projects. Plus you get to keep the drops and they always seem to be just the perfect size for something else you have been working on and trying to avoid another trip to the metal yard for such a small piece. The drawers provide a place to store jigs and spate blades that I use on the saw and prevents them from being misplaced somewhere in the shop and creating a waste of time trying to find it all again. Those file cabinets are cheap and readily available at the local office shop and turn up in the trash all the time. To help steady mine I placed a cinder block and several bricks in the bottom drawer and it improved the over all feel considerably. Hope this helps.

Bob

That is one thing I dont have on mine (not surprised as it cost almost nothing as some bits were missing) is a vertical cutting table. Does anyone have any pics of it, or pics of ones they have made ? Would love to be able to set it up to do small vertical stuff.

I don't have pics of mine (at work) but envision a *really* flimsy piece of sheet metal (thinner than the stock for the legs) with one strap that goes down to a support bolt. Also, it is not very stable with it in the vertical position. It really wants to tip over.

You would be much better off looking at the mods for some decent alternatives. Lots of good pics on the yahoo 4x6bandsaw group.

Stern, here is one I made for my Jet 5x6 that works very well.

It sits on a sub-table that permanently attaches to the upper blade guide:

subtable.jpg

The table itself attaches to the sub-table with two knurled thumb screws:

Maintable.jpg

Since all the pressure on any table used in vertical mode is borne by the lower blade guide I prefer to use a brace under the main table to support and stabilize it:

full-assembly.jpg

The sub-table is permanently attached to the lower blade guide. It can be used to cut small pieces in vertical mode. The main table takes all of 15 seconds to attach with the two thumb screws and comes off just as quickly. The table support takes 5 seconds to slip in place; a twist of the wrist brings it into contact with the saw and underside of the table and the table is then rock solid. The table support also does not let the saw fall out of vertical mode until it is removed. I wrote a piece on this simple thing and you can find it here: http://www.machinistblog.com/?s=table+jet&submit=Search

There are many other types of vertical mode tables on the 4x6 Yahoo group site and some of them are pretty ingenious. Have a look there - smart bunch of guys.

subtable.jpg Maintable.jpg full-assembly.jpg

My wilton bandsaw brace.

Put 80 lb 1/2" 10X10 plate for cutting, table would always tilt.

Gear box right side of photo.

Another excuse to purchase a plasma cutter....

Charl

brace.JPG

Stern,

This is what mine came with. (mine is a Black bull sold by tractor supply, But basicly the same) For the price I am verry happy with mine. I have put it to the test too. I cut 1-1/2" by 12" plates in it and it cut nice. I had to flip the pice and cheat a little but it did it. also if you can find the pic you can see I cut the 3-1/2" - 4" round bar for my ball turner.
002.JPG003.JPG007.JPG

002.JPG 003.JPG 007.JPG

Nice job! Hey what are you cutting that is 1/2 x 10x10 that is 80 lbs?

My wilton bandsaw brace.

Put 80 lb 1/2" 10X10 plate for cutting, table would always tilt.

Gear box right side of photo.

Another excuse to purchase a plasma cutter....

Charl

I will never give up my old vertical band saw. After all I gave $20.00 for it 40 years ago.
Table: 36” x 36” x 1 ½” thick cast iron
Throat: 18”
Neck: 36”
Blade: 16’ 2”
Weight: 1000 lbs
Direct drive by gear box and step pulleys driving the box

The HF vertical/horizontal saw has to be one of the cheesiest tools I have bought from them. But, as it turns out, it gets the job done. I have even considered buying a second unit to set it in vertical mode as I am always needing the mode that I don't have. The only reason why I haven't done it is because I do not have the space for a second saw. If space was not a concern, I would have already gotten me three of them!

Do note I have had some issues with the HF blades. This is of course to be expected, as what from HF comes out perfect out of the box? But to have a blade welded backwards? That is preposterous, isn't it? However, I have already purchased two like this. How do I know? Because when I place the blade, the teeth are going in the opposite direction. The first time I didn't notice and it was taking forever to cut the stock. I then realized I needed to flip the blade, and that did the trick. Make sure you are wearing gloves because flipping a band saw blade is a recipe for blood!

Back