basic bandsaw question

SE18

Active User
Registered
I'm down to just needing one more basic tool: bandsaw. I'm aware HF makes popular 4x6s that are $250 when on sale

but I've been looking thru CL last few weeks and you wouldn't believe the number of 12" Sears craftsman bandsaws I see coming up. Maybe 90% of all bandsaws sold in my area not counting the 9" deltas that don't do much (I have one but it's made for wood and soft metal)

anyway, I needed a bandsaw that cuts steel and wondered if the craftsmen are up to it?

prices range from $75 to $250, all over the map. I heard that sears sold a lot of these in the 60s and 70s

as last resort I'll get the HF model

thanks

Are you talking vertical or horizontal? The small 4X6 horizontal are probably the best bang for the buck. With a little tweaking they cut fine. I geared down a vertical wood saw and still use it but only for 1/4" or less material, sq tubing or angle. The problem with the vertical is you're limited by the throat depth when cutting lengths of stock. I just rebuilt an old Sears saw that I got from a scrap yard. The pulley set up would be easy to change for cutting metal. It all depends on what your going to be cutting.

thanks. for thin stuff I use a 14" metal cutting chop saw. It has problems with stuff that's half inch or thicker.

so unless I can figure a way to fortify my 9" delta, I'll just try and save money for the HF unit. I don't any of those on CL so those who buy the HF units must be contented folks

A secondary use for a robust bandsaw would be for wood cutting. I use a table saw now for that but I can see where a bandsaw would give me more control for certain things like making a plug for model boatbuilding and such

Well, have a bunch of HF stuff (mostly E-bay buys) and the bandsaw was probably the best one. Has some problems (at least for me) like crappy wiggly tin frame legs (screws would always work loose, even with locktight) but I can say I have cut lots of steel on it and its still going strong (cut a few 8" steel blocks to make smaller things and its great. There really isnt much I cant cut with it (until size wont allow me to get the blade on the work) and so far have gone through about 8 blades cutting (sometimes running it for 10 hour stretches).

Now that I have new REAL legs, its my favorite toy to cut things with

The biggest issue in using a wood-cutting bandsaw for metal is the speed of the blade. Like all cutting blades, it has to move at the appropriate speed for the material being cut. Wood is cut at a much higher speed than metal. The harder the material, the slower you have to cut it. At wood-cutting speeds, even the best metal-cutting blade will be instantly dulled on contact with even mild steel. (Ask me how I know.)

The biggest issue in using a wood-cutting bandsaw for metal is the speed of the blade. Like all cutting blades, it has to move at the appropriate speed for the material being cut. Wood is cut at a much higher speed than metal. The harder the material, the slower you have to cut it. At wood-cutting speeds, even the best metal-cutting blade will be instantly dulled on contact with even mild steel. (Ask me how I know.)

I recently got lucky at a local estate sale and came home with an old U.S. built Craftsman 12" bandsaw complete with a stack of new blades and a factory speed reducer for cutting metal for $150. I'm not sure of the exact speeds, but the low speed pulley is sloowww.

I am still not sure what the OP is looking for. His original posts sound like he may want a vertical saw, but I believe the HF saw is horizontal. I know that the HF band saw is for both vertical and horizontal, but I think it works best as a horizontal saw.

I think anyone considering a band saw should take into consideration that saws are designed to do one thing well. So if you want a cut off saw then by all means use a horizontal. If you are looking to rough cut something to workable dimensions then vertical may be best.

Just another opinion.

Paul

Sounds like the primary need is to chop stock that is larger than 1/2" for which a horizontal saw could be perfect for.

But then there is mention of wood cutting as a secondary usage.

You can't really use a horizontal bandsaw in vertical without modifying it by adding a table of some sort. Also not sure about the speeds you can get with a horizontal, but if you've got time, you can cut wood slow. Throat depth is also an issue.

If you want an all around bandsaw, then consider a vertical metal/wood saw. It can chop very large stock but up to lengths the size of the throat. It can also cut patterns and shapes. I have one I have mostly for metal, and run it at lowest speed all the time (but that is sometimes too fast). No problem swapping out a blade and changing speeds to do some wood. Cost me $100 off kijiji.

Ajax-20130728-00659.jpg

Ajax-20130728-00659.jpg

I have the 4x6 and a vertical 14" with a riser block (well, and one of their portables as well.) I was using the 14" for metal for a while until I got the 4x6. It has several speeds but the lowest is still a bit fast for steel. Was ok for aluminum.

I love the 4x6. Had to fiddle a bit for setup (and make a new knob to replace broken in shipping tension knob) The table that came with it for vertical cutting is a bit lame and I have never tried it. The legs a bit wimpy but my only real complaint is that I didn't buy it sooner.

I have a delta 14" that is obsolete, but the cool thing about it is the fact that is has a high/low gear box. I cut metal almost exclusively but the nice fact is I am tool obsessed and the ability to cut both wood and metal is such a cool feature. If you can come up with a good speed control so you can cut both metal and wood, that is the way to go. Tim

Back