Bandsaw - $250 (santa cruz) Now $100

Low speed cold saws are an unknown to me, never been around or used one. I have cut aluminum on an old Hitachi 10” mitre saw and it was ok but incredibly messy. Lots of really fine aluminum dust the is no bueno at all. Never seen a small cold saw, looks very handy. What brand is it?

It's an MEP, made in Italy.

coldsaw2.jpg

John

This thing is taunting me, he's dropped it down to a hundred bucks but I still don't have the space...

Screenshot from 2020-08-27 20-43-16.png

Woa, even if you put it on castors and rolled it outside when you work in the shop? At least you have a flat driveway :) I don’t.

I think they call that a dry cut saw these days.

The "50 rpm" suggests it's a cold saw, since a dry cut saw turns a lot faster. We have a dry cut saw at the local makerspace. I'm always afraid of someone trying to cut something hard on it and goofing up the blade. One blade already got goofed up. It doesn't cut well, then.

On second thought, the picture looks like a dry cut saw. It is too light and flimsy, and it also doesn't seem to have circulating coolant. To tell you the truth, I prefer the dry cut saw. Less likely to goof up a blade. And the blade on the cold saw at TechShop was always goofed up.

Woa, even if you put it on castors and rolled it outside when you work in the shop? At least you have a flat driveway :) I don’t.

No, not even if I were to roll it outside. My driveway isn't a hill but not perfectly flat either and I just added a 13x40 lathe....

John

I have this one.

View attachment 333982

works fine for cutting stock to length and only takes up a little space. My shop really isn't big enough for even a HF 4x6.

John
That's a nice saw, and definitely in a different league than my B&D. I believe the B&D is nothing more than a modified chop saw. It has a variable speed from around 1,800 rpm to close to 5,000 rpm. The blade is 14" in diameter. Like your saw it doesn't have an opening big enough to get the large stuff in. Even if it could open wide enough it has a wimpy sheet metal base that couldn't withstand the weight of a 6" round of cold rolled.

Like you I got it at (almost) no charge when I was closing down one of the company shops. None of the guys that worked there wanted it, and none of the 25 other plants in the system would take it either. It looked so nice I couldn't throw it in the dumpster for the scrappers, so I bought it for scrap price. I believe that was about $.30 per pound at the time. The total cost was around $10.00.

So far I've only used it for aluminum flat stock. I only have 1 blade, and that says very clearly "for non-ferrous materials only". Of the 4 saws in the shop it's by far the least used. It's saving grace is that it's portable, and runs on standard 120 volts. All the other saws weigh between 500 lbs. and 800 lbs. and are either 3 phase or require 220 volts single phase. This one can be thrown in the back of the truck and taken to a jobsite if necessary.

Back