Band Saw Blade

View attachment 121107 add a treadmill motor and you will be able to cut anything.Buy bulk band saw material and make your own blades by silver soldering them.

@ Kernbigo,
Did you make any other modifications to that 3 wheel Craftsman saw other than the treadmill motor? I'm curious because I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my 2 wheel Craftsman of about the same vintage. Does the rest of the saw stand up OK to cutting metal?

That looks like the machine on the left is an industrial grade scroll saw.

My bad. I don't know why I put "steel", I meant aluminum and maybe some thin sheet metal. It is a Harbor Freight 14". I will be be add two pulleys, 10" and a 2", to slow it down. A friend of mine done the mod to his and cuts aluminum pretty good although he said his blade wasn't the best. I don't know the actual RPM though.

Thanks,

Gary

A hundred feet per minute is a good all around speed for ferric materials and will work for aluminum as well. You have the right idea
to pulley it down. I built a horizontal metal cutting band saw that uses a 1/3 hp clothes dryer motor with one pulley reduction and
one chain drive reduction. It uses a standard 3/4 inch x10 foot blade. I could muster up a photo for anyone who is interested.

I think you mean to the right in the picture, it is a k.o. lee cutter grinder that i made into a surface grinder. As far as changing anything on the band saw i did put new tires on the wheels because they were wore out, and modified the back blade followers by adding ball bearings. bearing number 628-zz and made new shafts for the bearings, very simple project. I use doall band saw bulk material coarse 309-047 and fine 308-601, and silver solder all my blades, they work great. This the second conversion i have done the first was a 14" but it tool up to much room in my shop so i sold, it also worked great.

I think you mean to the right in the picture, it is a k.o. lee cutter grinder that i made into a surface grinder. As far as changing anything on the band saw i did put new tires on the wheels because they were wore out, and modified the back blade followers by adding ball bearings. bearing number 628-zz and made new shafts for the bearings, very simple project. I use doall band saw bulk material coarse 309-047 and fine 308-601, and silver solder all my blades, they work great. This the second conversion i have done the first was a 14" but it tool up to much room in my shop so i sold, it also worked great.

Thanks. Hopefully I can convert mine in the next month or two...

That looks like the machine on the left is an industrial grade scroll saw.
Actually that's an old Craftsman band saw. They were made by the King Seely Corporation in the 50's and 60's I believe.

You a correct. Thanks for know what I mean even though I say something different. Nice looking machine!

Thanks,
Gary

I used to buy coil stock as I re-sawed mostly hardwoods like beech and maple. I would cut a blade 113-1/4" and hard solder ( silver solder) them when needed. Anyone can do this , short learning curve if you have the correct set up and materials. I use 1/4" wide solder tape and correct flux. I bought it from Stan Silverstein INC. They have a website.
mike

Back