Band Saw Blade

gmhill33

Registered
Registered
Greeting,

First time poster. I have a 14" band saw and want to buy a decent metal cutting blade. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Gary

Welcome!!
First post cool.

What kind of saw are you running?
Any idea what blade speeds you have available?
I made the mistake of trying to cut metal on my band-saw geared for wood.
Way to fast. Didn't matter what I had for a blade.

Daryl
MN

Daryl is right, if you have a wood bandsaw don't waste your money buying a metal cutting blade. In some instances you can cut some nonferrous metals but steel is out. To satisfactorily cut steel with a 14" bandsaw you would slow the wheels down to about 19 RPMs
Randy

My bad. I don't know why I put "steel", I meant aluminum and maybe some thin sheet metal. It is a Harbor Freight 14". I will be be add two pulleys, 10" and a 2", to slow it down. A friend of mine done the mod to his and cuts aluminum pretty good although he said his blade wasn't the best. I don't know the actual RPM though.

Thanks,

Gary

101_0579.jpg add a treadmill motor and you will be able to cut anything.Buy bulk band saw material and make your own blades by silver soldering them.

Last edited:
Enco.com usually has sales on pre-made blades for 14" saws. That's where I get all of mine. Look for the "Bi-metal" style blade, they are a bit more but they last a lot longer then the plain carbon blades.
Mark

Greeting,

First time poster. I have a 14" band saw and want to buy a decent metal cutting blade. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Gary

Unless your band saw has a welder built in buy pre-made blades, wood cutting blades for wood and soft material. A metal cutting saw will cut wood but a wood cutting saw will burn up trying to cut metal. Metal saws a geared slower to last longer.

Treadmill motors around my area are hard to find unless you want to spend $$$. Believe me, that was my first choice.

Thanks,
Gary

Back