Band saw blade welding ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Can you weld these by hand somehow or do you need the welder on the machine ?

You can fix them in a jig to hold the ends together, then silver solder or braze them and clean them up on a grinder.

I haven't tried, but I'm certain they could also be fusion welded with tig and annealed with a torch afterward.

I'd really like to have a resistance welder for blades myself. Have looked plenty, but haven't been in the right place at the right time yet. The prices are all over the map. New old stock blade coils can be a bargain compared to made to order blades...

New old stock blade coils can be a bargain compared to made to order blades...
I just came across a full roll that the vertical will take . Small blade 4 pitch for wood or thick aluminum maybe . I have a jig made up and can silver solder here also . Of course I just bought new blades for it last month . :rolleyes: .

Interesting, been going to TRY big welding a blade. Have been silver soldering them for some time. They usually work, occasionally they break. Interestingly from another forum, I was told you HAVE to anneal after soldering. Tried it, they broke every time, guessing the anneal weakened the silver solder joint?

Greg

Interesting, been going to TRY big welding a blade. Have been silver soldering them for some time. They usually work, occasionally they break. Interestingly from another forum, I was told you HAVE to anneal after soldering. Tried it, they broke every time, guessing the anneal weakened the silver solder joint?

Greg

Honestly, I wouldn't know one end of a welder from the bottom of my arse crack; I only really watch ToT's welding videos for the entertainment and I guess, with an idle hope that maybe some of the education will stick for when/if I do get a welder!:grin:

I just buy a new blade when I've clumsily broken one!

In fact a couple of new blades (both M42 1435mm x 1/2"; one in 8/12, and one in 10/14) arrived in the post today. It's a relief that I was able to uncoil the spiteful bastards without injury to myself or others! :grin:

It's a relief that I was able to uncoil the spiteful bastards without injury to myself or others!

I know what you mean, they can be like handling a basket of snakes.
One trick I learned, and I forget where, was to gentle toss the coiled blade onto the floor (tooth side up) and it usually springs open without injury or damage.

The only problem being that you actually have to have some open floor space in the shop for this to work.......

Brian

I know what you mean, they can be like handling a basket of snakes.
One trick I learned, and I forget where, was to gentle toss the coiled blade onto the floor (tooth side up) and it usually springs open without injury or damage.

The only problem being that you actually have to have some open floor space in the shop for this to work.......

Brian
I have some welding gauntlet-type gloves (ironic, given my above post :grin:) that I put on, plus safety glasses, and I hold the coil away from my body and go slowly.

To be fair I may be being overcautious as these are only small blades; frankly, if I had to deal with the longer beasts, I think I might be tempted to wear full mediaeval plate armour and helmet, but still better to be thought a fool than to lose an eye or a nose eh? :grin:

Greg
I thought it was anneal after weld. I have silver soldered my blades, and not annealed (for wood).

Back