Ball Turning Tool Post????

I really like that over the top ball turner. The main reason is because you do not need to remove the compound. I did build an old style some time ago it does work but I think the over the top would suit me better. I guess I'll just have to set some time aside to make. Enclosed is a picture of the one I made000_0171.JPG.

000_0171.JPG

Fastback, it looks like yours could be turned 90 degrees and make it over the top? At least for a ball on the very end of a shaft.
Mike

Hi, the plans are on home metal shop club, anyone can get them and there is some nice project plans. Chester

Ball-turning tools are an interest of mine; you can find many links on this topic on my web site here: https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/useful-links#lathetools

Guys,as I read post here on this forum and search the net looking at some of the fantastic things that well experience machinist and hobbiest machinist make,design from scratch I am amaze.I am still restoring my small 12"/36"Sears 101.07403 lathe and just bout finish.I have never turned the first piece of metal,don't have any experience with a lathe.I am just now getting setup to what I hope will be a fun and learning adventure.What attracted me to metal turning was making round knobs for my old table saw and other woodworking machines.I did have someone make me some knobs in the past and he said that he use the step method.(I don't know what that is)
But I have been watching Tubalcain on Youtube,it is great.Somehow I watch a Youtube on a person making a tool post for turning Knobs or balls and it was also great and did not look like it took alot of time.There were several Youtubes on this subject,most look like it all works.But has anyone here made their own that maybe they would share on how you made yours?Or maybe provide a link to Youtube that you made using their method.The Youtube that I watch was fantastic and it looks like its alittle easy to do for someone with alittle experience,but for me(no experience,no talent) not at this time.Maybe afew mos from now,but here is what I watch
Here's a pic of a knob that I want to make

Thanks for any ideals and directions----kroll

Now there is some good reading material,lots of useful ideals.Thanks kevin----kroll

Before I build a ball tunner like Fastback. I would lossen my compound just enough to swing it to turn a radius.:shush:

I didn't think you would notice. Anyway, it was on a coffee break so I allowed it to relax.

Before I build a ball tunner like Fastback. I would lossen my compound just enough to swing it to turn a radius.:shush:

Please explain why, you know, for the slow one in the audience.

If you can get the cutting tool behind the center of rotation of the compound it will cut a radius. Mine will not get behind the center of rotation.

If you can get the cutting tool behind the center of rotation of the compound it will cut a radius. Mine will not get behind the center of rotation.

Even if it was behind the center of rotation I'm having a hard time picturing it being done. I can't think of a scenario in which the crank for the compound wouldn't have to pass under the chuck or work piece and I'm not sticking my hand in there!

Am I missing something? (No comments from the cheap seats please. :biggrin:)

-Ron

Back