Ball Turning Tool Post????

Randy, I think what kd4gif was alluding to was the direction my ball turner was pointing. I placed it that way so a picture could be taken. In actual use, the ball turner is turned and mounted on the back side of QCTH and pointed toward the chuck. It is then centered on the piece being turned. So in use the handle would be on the right side of the tool holder. Hope I have explained it.

Kroll, for the knobs you showed in your pics, I would use gravers to shape them. Gravers are extremely versatile, and can cut a ball and handle in one piece in practically any shape you might need. They cut very quickly and finish very nice, too. You'll need a tool rest similar to that used on a wood lathe but the gravers themselves are cheap to make and simple to use. Just letting you know there is a very good option to a ball turner unless you need a precision ball.

Mikey thanks for the reply,I google gravers but what I found I don't know if that is what your referring to.Could you post some pics or links of your setup?My knobs that I post are bout 1 1/4 in dia and more of a dome shape than a ball,I figure that I could use the ball turning method to make the dome just maybe use a 2" ball radious to get the shape I want for a the 1 1/4 knobs.That knob in the pic is aluminum but I want to also make them out of stainless steel.The bolt is SS but it slips into a hole on the knob lock w/setscrew.
Guys what I learn so far(only on the net and not from personal experience) is that the cutter needs to be either dead center or a touch just below if using the one design mounted on top of the cross feed(I think) then the over the top method can be done without removing the tool post but only hinders the site of the operator alittle.I really like the Over the Top method since all a person has to do is remove the tool holder from the tool post.But its not that hard to remove the compound rest.
Guys on making the ball turner,can aluminum be use or is aluminum just to weak??Can these ball turners handle stainless steel material for the balls just maybe take smaller cuts?
This is a great subject with lots of ideals and the pics and explanation help the novice(myself) a whole lot.Thanks so much for the time of snapping pics and posting---kroll

Please explain why, you know, for the slow one in the audience.

On my Craftsman 101.07403 I losen the compound just enough to swing it like a ball turner. Then take light cuts. not perfict but it does work.

I'll try to find some pics and see if I can post them. The only video I could find is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr6sCnE-NsE

You can also see this one: http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/Graver_Rest.html

And this one on making gravers: http://www.sherline.com/gravers.htm

The rest and gravers will be sized to your lathe. On a Sherline-sized lathe a 1/8" tool bit is the most useful but on larger lathes a 3/16" or larger tool could be used.

Gravers are some of the most useful lathe accessories I know of. In addition to easily handling those knobs you need, they will touch almost every lathe project that comes off your machine once you learn to use them, if only to ease and edge or improve a contour.

Kroll, I had some time today and turned a quick knob with the gravers. I'm going to try to post some pics but am not sure this will work out.

Here is the beginning:
begin.jpg
Then some preliminary shaping of the knob:
prelim-cut.jpg
Then I turned the piece in the chuck so I could do some profiling. Here is the finished the knob profile:
done.jpg
Final product:
done2.jpg
The gravers look like this:
ScreenShot111.jpg

The knob is 1.25" OD. The flat behind the front dome is where your knurl would go. I don't use a ball turner so cannot tell you how easily that device could do this. From start to finish I spent about 45 minutes so it isn't fast - its a lot of metal to take off - but it gets the job done. They are better suited to detail work and smaller shaping but they do it very well.

Gravers will cut almost any material, including stainless steel and even hardened steel.

Perhaps the best known guy associated with gravers is Mr. William Smith. He has videos and books on these tools and I enjoyed and learned much from them. Give them a look.

begin.jpg prelim-cut.jpg done.jpg done2.jpg ScreenShot111.jpg

Mickey thanks for posting,that is great.The knobs are fantastic,I sure hope mine comes out good so I can post pics.---kroll

That looks great! I just finished a ball turner but I will have to make a rest and give this a try also. Just havin fun!

Have a great day!

Ed

Back