Ball Bearing Removal

The only part of those marks that has any (pardon the pun) bearing on how this will function is any material "proud" to the surface. If you have an olde tyme 3 sided scraper you could just remove the upset material, polish it a little and go forward installing the new bearings.

All is well.
Since the bearings were easy to tap out of the hub, I decided against scraping the bore and risk having a loose bearing.
Out of curiosity I reinstalled the old bearings using a puller. After pulling the bushing through the inner races the original roughness was back. It became obvious that the bearings were stressed sideways. After a few taps on the edge of the races with a punch the roughness disappeared. The gear spins freely now. It turns out that the problem was not the bearings but how they were installed.
Thanks everyone for your help.

The easy way to pull in straight is to get the largest fine thread bolt that will fit the hole then make a bushing if needed and large thick flat washers and use the bolt to pull it together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

tq, that's exactly how it was done. The 1/2-NF threads were lubed and gave very nice feel as the bearing slid into the hub.

The crux of the installation was to pull the bushing through both the inner races without offsetting their alignment to the outer races.

Last edited:
Back