Ball bearing glue

Bob, I just woke up.
I'll put the shaft assembly outside to cool down before assembly. Then bring it inside to work on. Not only will the cold shaft fit more easily in the bearing but the cooler steel will slow down the glue cure rate. That's what you meant to start with eh?

Loctite 243 (blue) gets my vote, medium strength, removeable. 30 min cure time on steel.
Mark S.

Bob, I just woke up.
I'll put the shaft assembly outside to cool down before assembly. Then bring it inside to work on. Not only will the cold shaft fit more easily in the bearing but the cooler steel will slow down the glue cure rate. That's what you meant to start with eh?
Yes, something like that.;) I thought maybe you worked in an unheated shop like I do, but mine is in California...:(

Loctite 243 (blue) gets my vote, medium strength, removeable. 30 min cure time on steel.
Mark S.
And that cure time is at normal room temperature. On the Permatex and Loctite web sites they have charts of cure time vs. temperature and other specs for their products if you want to take the time to look for them.

Here is a chart you can read for your application.
The Difference Between Red, Blue, Green and Purple Threadlockers
Kelly Turner July 11, 2013

Ever get confused about which threadlocker to use? Do you know what the differences are between the red, blue, green and purple threadlocker? You aren’t alone – we here at Henkel hear this question a lot and are here to tell you the difference.

Loctite%20Threadlockers.png

To make it simpler for the consumer, our products are available in many different grades to cater to a broad array of applications, from auto maintenance and boat maintenance to a wide rande of household product repair. These different grades are color-coded to help you identify one threadlocker from another The color refers to the actual substance, but all the bottles are red in color. The red bottle is actually a Loctite trademark; it’s what visually distinguishes Loctite® threadlockers from any other brand.

So what is the difference between the Red, Blue, Green and Purple threadlocker?

red.jpgLoctite® Red Threadlocker is the highest strength. This product cures fully in 24 hours and is available in both a liquid and as a semisolid anaerobic. The red products are so powerful that they require heat to be disassembled. A primerless grade red threadlocker is also available.

[You might also be interested in: How to remove Red Threadlocker]

blue.jpgLoctite® Blue Threadlocker is of medium strength. Again this product cures fully in 24 hours and can be dissembled with hand tools. In addition to being available in a liquid and a semisolid, there is also Loctite® QuickTape® 249™ Threadlocker; the one and only of its kind globally. A primerless grade blue threadlocker is available as well.

[You might also be interested in: Blue Threadlocker Basics]

green.jpgLoctite® Green Threadlocker is recommended for locking preassembled fasteners, e.g. electrical connectors and set screws. The product is categorized as medium-to-high-strength for wicking. It is also available in a liquid form, cures in 24 hours and can be removed with heat and hand tools.

purple.jpg

Loctite® Purple Threadlocker, also known as Loctite® 222™, has become one of our most successful products. Loctite® 222™ cures in 24 hours. It can also be used on low-strength metals such as aluminum and brass. This offers a lot of flexibility to the user. Find customer testimonials and more information on our purple threadlocker in “When and Why to Use Purple Threadlocker“.

All threadlockers have a broad temperature resistance of -65°F to 300°F, some going up to as high as 650°F.

Threadlockers were Loctite’s first product line; they combine a mix of complex chemistry and engineering. Simply put, this product is an anaerobic adhesive applied by drops to the threads of fasteners. It then cures to a hard thermoset plastic that locks the threads together. They are used only for metal to metal applications.

Hope this helps in your application.

Went to the bearing store today and asked their opinion.
Loctite 660 was recommended for my project. Boy, there are a lot of Loctite products out there!
And they are all expensive! Some are only available in the larger format and I'd need a mortgage to buy them.
A 6ml tube of 660 cost $15.
Will let you all know how it goes.

Back