Ball bearing glue

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The new ball bearings that I have to install have better seals on both sides. There is considerable drag created by the seals. Plus, the press fit of the bearing on the shaft is a bit too light for my liking.
I want to add some glue between the shaft and inner race as insurance to prevent the race from slipping on the shaft in service.

The glue has to be applied before assembly because of the design. I want something that would not set too quickly so that there is time to assemble the parts before the glue sets. Also, the glue should not be permanent in case the bearings need to be replaced again. Bearing size is 6307.

Any ideas about what glue/sealant/compound to use?
Thanks for reading this far. Mike

Red locktite, it won't set until it is confined in a small space, without air, and takes time, 20 to 30 minutes to set. Heat and considerable pressure will release it.
Just the thing for your problem.

Loctite retaining compound is anaerobic meaning that it will not cure in the presence of oxygen in the air, once the bearing race is assembled on the shaft the free oxygen is blocked and it then hardens.
This is a very strong bond so get it right the first time.

Unfortunately there is no way to heat up the assembly if I have to remove the bearing in the future. It is deep into an assembly.

Also, the assembly has two ball bearings installed in a hub and I will have to draw the shaft into the assembly in short stages. I would not want the glue to set during a pause when the bearing is only part of the way on.

I have used red and blue loctite on a regular basis and find that they set too quickly for the time it will take draw the shaft completely through. I am hoping that there is a product better suited than these two products.

Last edited:
Ted, that 609 looks like what I need. Will see if I can find some in town.
Thanks for your help folks.

For what you are doing I would use ordinary blue Loctite. In Quebec at this time of year the set time will be much slower in the cold. The blue will be easier to get apart down the road.

Sorry to throw yet another answer to the question, however Green loctite (640) is designed for such applications and can be used for up to .040 clearances with full curing.

LOCTITE 640
8797247307806.jpg
High strength, methacrylate ester-based retaining compound that is slow curing; ideal for large diameter components and active metals such as brass. LOCTITE 640 is a green, anaerobic, low viscosity, methacrylate ester-based retaining compound ideal for parts requiring a longer positioning time. Fixturing time on steel is 2 h. Also used for active metals such as brass. This is a high strength product with good temperature resistance. Max. diametrical clearance is 0.1 mm and service temperature is -55 to +175ºC. Fluorescence allows product presence to be monitored.
Your benefits

• 1-part product, requires no mixing
  • Slow curing
  • Ideal for large diameter components
  • Also for active metals such as brass
  • High strength
  • Good temperature resistance

Last edited by a moderator:
"High strength" is what the OP is trying to avoid, so he can get it apart again someday if needed. He is trying to keep the inner race from slipping on the shaft, causing wear to both parts. Anaerobic sealants will not cure until they are confined in a small space (anaerobic = without air). A low to medium strength anaerobic sealant will be good for that application.

Back