Back to Basics

Your taper may be more to do with the tailstock side-to-side adjustment rather than the bed being level. Also brass can be great to turn, but it can also be very 'grabby'. Usually you use tools with low or zero top rake for brass.

Not that you can't use brass to learn on, but it is pretty pricey these days and the tool grinds you learn there won't work well on mild steel.

I wouldn't worry about the bed being level until you get some experience getting the surface finish you are looking for. For that, you can chuck up a piece in the chuck alone (no tailstock) as long as it doesn't stick out more than around 3X it's diameter. Then turn away playing with tooling, speeds, feeds. You can worry about long turning and twist in the bed after that. It's all an experiment and learning experience at this point.

I just got a 3d printer about a month ago and every print is a 'why did that turn out like that' experience - when there are no work deadlines it all about journey!
Thank you John. I wanted to try something other that mild steel because I was gett A horrible finish. Just happened to have that piece of brass and didn’t want to go down to the supplier.
I think my focus now will be studying and practicing HSS tool bringing.

I agree with John O. The taper is mostly the tailstock being off. Easy enough to fix. Move it over about half the error and try it again. Turning a two lobe test bar is the recommended method. I think I see chatter in the brass. Something lose or tool & or compound sticking out too far? Lock the compound. A better finish will be had by putting a slight radius on the tool nose. Brass turns nice but is expensive and most of your "real" work will likely be in steel. Get some free machining steel bars of several different varieties. Take notes as you work so you can make adjustments to your techniques and refer back when all else fails.

A SB 9" generally has a 3 point attachment to the bench it's sitting on, 2 at the headstock end and one centered on the tailstock end, so that no leveling is necessary, usually, only bed wear will create taper in a chucked part on such a lathe, as stated above, the taper that you see could be caused by tailstock alignment. On my 19" Regal lathe, even when perfectly leveled and ways virtually unworn would cut a taper, it was a wartime machine taken off a ship, having very little use, I cured it by adding shims to opposite sides of the vee ways at each end of the headstock, it now cuts perfectly straight.

Wow, you guys are great. Thank you all so much. I guess I need to learn grinding HSS!

I did do some turning this morning to try to narrow down the symptoms. I started turning brass between centers over a 6 1/2 length. Initially I started feeding manually and got a pretty decent finish, I then used the power feed over the length of the piece, followed by a finish pass. Just look at the taper over 6 1/2”!
i then tried some aluminum over just 1 1/2 without end support and that turned out OK. Following all that I cleaned the machine and put a machinist level on the bed. Over the length it wasn’t too bad but front to back it’s off the bubble at the end away from the chuck and 3/4 bubble off by the chuck. I guess that the first thing I need to fix. View attachment 473413View attachment 473414View attachment 473415
The AR5 grade C2 brazed cemented carbide tool that you are using needs to be ground to correct shape on a green silicon carbide grinding wheel to perform. As bought, they need sharpening and shaping. And a little bit of nose radius would help.

A large nose radius gives a better finish than a small nose radius. It also increases the cutting forces that could lead to a bad finish and dimensional errors on not rigid (setup) machines. Looking at the pictures, you have a huge nose radius. I use a 0.4 mm nose radius on my bigger (290 kg) lalthe and 0.2..0.4 mm on my mini lathe.
I use HSS tools but I prefer inserts, even on my mini lathe. Large inserts are made for heavy cutting that requires rigid fast running machines. I use the smallest type inserts (CCMT060204, DCMT070204) that are designed for finishing operations (VP15TF insert code Mitsubishi) and these perform well even when I cut 0.1 mm deep at a rate of 0.05mm/rev (0.002" == 0.05 mm). I try to run inserts at the recommended speed (RPM) but even at low RPM, finishing type inserts can give a good finish.
For aluminum I use the not coated ground inserts (CCGT060204 / DCGT070202). These will give a great finish under almost all conditions. I also use these type of inserts on (stainless) steel when all other inserts and HSS tools don't give the right finish.
I can't utilize the high quality expensive professional grade inserts on my desktop lathes. So I use the cheap inserts (0.25€ / cutting edge) from AliExpress.

A couple of years ago I bought a South Bend 9” C model lathe with the hopes of being able to manufacture small parts for my vintage motorcycles. I was working full time at the time so didn’t have a lot of opportunity to get it right. Now I’m fully retired and trying to get the best out of my lathe.

A good solid face plant directly into the learning curve is kind of to be expected. It's initially quite steep. There's seven thousand things you need to know before you ever get started, and no way to remember it all before you have the chance to actually do anything to actually have a feel or sense of what's going on. They kind of compound on themselves. Your limited past experience may be very valuable, but it might be a bit of a double edged sword too. Smaller lathes do tend to need a little more "coddling" than commercial ones will. You probably "know" that, but don't loose sight of that when you get frustrated. It'll come.

Ive tried various materials, various tool types, I’ve spent hours making sure tool height are dead nuts on center, I’ve cut dry and with cutting fluid, I’ve taken large depth cuts and shallow too. Still not getting there.

I believe the feed rate it too high so today I’m going to change gearing to get it as slow as possible.

This is going to be huge for you. If you're changing change gears to change the feed, DOCUMENT IT. Feed rate, Tool, Material, and if you want, speed. You'll get a feel for it and give up the list in short order, but starting off? There's a LOT of combinations to remember.... Write down everything you find that works. One thing about low horsepower lathes is that you very often want to compromise one thing to benefit another. You might want a deeper cut at a stupid slow feed, or you might prefer the same material removal rate with a shallower cut and a faster feed rate.
Just for reference, (similar lathe, my ground tools, some "import" carbide stuff- When I stop buggering with the shifters, the lathe almost always ends up at the left side of the gear box, and I "toggle" between A and B which is 0.0027 per rev and 0.0053 per rev. Those two are very versatile for me. Until I get into tougher stuff that I probably shouldn't. I get hydraulic cylinder rods pretty easy. Fancy(er) steel. Those seem to typically appreciate a slower feed rate and a deeper depth of cut, I tend to end up between 0.0016 per rev and either of the two spots marked 0.0019 per rev. (And I'm sure that the few ten millionth's of rounding error makes all the difference). Again, that's my tools doing the cutting, but maybe that helps you get a ballpark as you get going.
I don’t want to be the bad workman blames his tools guy but I’ve thought of maybe buying a new PM lathe and start from a known quantity. I’ve read lots on these forums the debates on new import vs used equipment which always comes with the caution to “make sure you have someone who knows what they’re doing evaluate any used Machines” So it occurred to me my SB may be worn out or seriously out of adjustment.

Well, your lathe could be out of adjustment, or out of whack, but break it down. The spindle should be tight, kinda sorta. An indicator on the spindle nose and a bar through it, you should be able to lift the chuck end of the spindle a thousandth or two (One is the minimum, it's plain bearing. You've gotta leave room for the hydrodynamic wedge to build up and center it when it's running). You don't want it "too" sloppy, but although it might show in the work some, you should do pretty OK with a bit more. The cross slide and the compound dovetails should be brought up just so. The compound should be out of the way, and for "normal" cutting it should be backed up so that it's fully supported at the business end, don't leave it (and thereby the tool post) hanging out like a diving board without a reason. At that point, you could have bed ways twisted like a barber pole, the tailstock adjusted as far off of center as it will go, and dials that somebody scabbed in off of a metric lathe that don't match the lead screws. You'll cut off sized tapered parts all day long. But you should be able to do that with a decent finish.

I can run a level over the ways but don’t know what is an acceptable tolerance.

Save any "leveling" for down the road. One step at a time. That's NOT your issue YET. For now, acceptable tolerance is "looks about straight". If you really want to do that preemptively, outsmart your carpenter's level. Lay it over the tip of the Vs on the bed at the headstock end and the tailstock end. DON'T TAKE IT TOO SERIOUS.... Carpenters levels have a huge "tolerance" built into them. Start with it up against the headstock. Figur out EXACTLY where the bubble is. It need not even be in the middle. Just eyeball a line width (or half a line width) of accuracy as to where the bubble actually is.. Do not tip, turn, or rotate the level in any way. Lift it from where it is, and set it on the tailstock end. If you're within a line width of the same place (even estimating when it's not on a line), if you're within a line width, you're good. You can do better (maybe, if it's crooked), but for now, that's way more than good enough. Probably not even necessary at this stage.

im struggling to get good surface finish and good dimensional stability and repeatability.

Or, this piece breaks out separately as well. Leave out the surface finish for a bit. Dimensional stability and repeatability needs to be worked on. With any lathe, there will be "some" deflection on every cut, so you're going to have to plan your way in. If you want o turn down two "things" to 1.942 inches, you're not going to dial in a number and get there. You're going to want to leave some room so you can take a couple or three "equal passes" at it, five, ten, fifteen thousandths each. Whatever the lathe is comfortable with in the material, how much you have to work with, etc. I quote "equal passes" because they're not equal. So the two hypothetical "things" here that you want identical, initially you can pretty much have a free for all down to some set number larger than your target. For giggles, let's say that "loose target" is 2.542, as that leaves a very convenient number. When you hit your 2.542 dimension and land just shy, or blow it out of the water... There's still 0.060 to come off of the diameter. .0.30 on the radius. Three at 0.010 depth of cut on the dial (0.020 on diameter should nail it, but each pass gets adjusted a couple of thousandths to keep you on track. for three equal passes, so that the last one, right to dimension, lands on target with the deflection accommodated accounted for. Very small cuts to sneak up on dimension are not all that predictable. You end up trying to take one or two thousandths, the tool just won't dig in, and when it does it loads up and takes three or five.... Well ground HSS tools (or any way you can get a dead sharp tool with very low tool pressure) really helps with that issue.

If you've got a tool that cuts freely, (ish), I'd toy with that. The hitting dimensions part. I would not recommend expensive materials, rather something inexpensive that you can go ahead and burn it up. Doesn't really matter that much what it is. Just big enough that you can spend some time on it without getting it so thin that the part's own deflection becomes another variable. If you don't have any tools that you feel cut somewhat freely, maybe hold off on this step, because excess tool pressure, while you can do it, it just causes unnecessarily large amounts of deflection, which just makes the learning curve that much steeper.

Similarly I don’t know anything about spindle wear or carriage wear and backlash. Where do I start? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

You're barking up the right tree, you just havn't chased a squirrel up it yet.

Take it one piece at a time. You're doing the exact same thing that I did when I drug my 9A home. That is, trying to take on everything at once. Plug it in and make parts. You'd be better served (as I would have) to plug it in and learn to make chips first.

To make a decent looking cut, assuming the lathe doesn't look like it fell off of somebody's tailgate while they were driving down the freeway, you only really need to qualify Qualify the spindle bearings (literally a dial indicator measurement) and verify that the dovetails on the cross slide and compound are tight enough to not wiggle. Then your lathe, regardless of other (reasonable) conditions, should make good cuts.

And the dimensions. Assuming that the carriage lock locks when you want it, and the cross/compound slides are dialed in tight enoug that the dials stay put while you're cutting , you should be able to hit dimensions with some practice.

And the leveling/tapering issue. Cutting tapers in particular. It's a geometrical rabbit hole, it can be a bit tricky to wrap your head around at first, but it can be considered, for all intents and purposes to be a whole separate category from the other two. You can do all the things, measure it perfect, but you're never going to get it "done" until you can measure some cuts. That takes a servicable, even if not perfect) finish on a cut, and some degree of confidence in your getting multiple cuts to come out "dead nutz" the same, so that you can confidently say that the descrepency is in the lathe bed, tail stock adjustment, etc. Outside of a quick check for gross errors, step one and step two have to come first. .

A good solid face plant directly into the learning curve is kind of to be expected. It's initially quite steep. There's seven thousand things you need to know before you ever get started, and no way to remember it all before you have the chance to actually do anything to actually have a feel or sense of what's going on. They kind of compound on themselves. Your limited past experience may be very valuable, but it might be a bit of a double edged sword too. Smaller lathes do tend to need a little more "coddling" than commercial ones will. You probably "know" that, but don't loose sight of that when you get frustrated. It'll come.

This is going to be huge for you. If you're changing change gears to change the feed, DOCUMENT IT. Feed rate, Tool, Material, and if you want, speed. You'll get a feel for it and give up the list in short order, but starting off? There's a LOT of combinations to remember.... Write down everything you find that works. One thing about low horsepower lathes is that you very often want to compromise one thing to benefit another. You might want a deeper cut at a stupid slow feed, or you might prefer the same material removal rate with a shallower cut and a faster feed rate.
Just for reference, (similar lathe, my ground tools, some "import" carbide stuff- When I stop buggering with the shifters, the lathe almost always ends up at the left side of the gear box, and I "toggle" between A and B which is 0.0027 per rev and 0.0053 per rev. Those two are very versatile for me. Until I get into tougher stuff that I probably shouldn't. I get hydraulic cylinder rods pretty easy. Fancy(er) steel. Those seem to typically appreciate a slower feed rate and a deeper depth of cut, I tend to end up between 0.0016 per rev and either of the two spots marked 0.0019 per rev. (And I'm sure that the few ten millionth's of rounding error makes all the difference). Again, that's my tools doing the cutting, but maybe that helps you get a ballpark as you get going.

Well, your lathe could be out of adjustment, or out of whack, but break it down. The spindle should be tight, kinda sorta. An indicator on the spindle nose and a bar through it, you should be able to lift the chuck end of the spindle a thousandth or two (One is the minimum, it's plain bearing. You've gotta leave room for the hydrodynamic wedge to build up and center it when it's running). You don't want it "too" sloppy, but although it might show in the work some, you should do pretty OK with a bit more. The cross slide and the compound dovetails should be brought up just so. The compound should be out of the way, and for "normal" cutting it should be backed up so that it's fully supported at the business end, don't leave it (and thereby the tool post) hanging out like a diving board without a reason. At that point, you could have bed ways twisted like a barber pole, the tailstock adjusted as far off of center as it will go, and dials that somebody scabbed in off of a metric lathe that don't match the lead screws. You'll cut off sized tapered parts all day long. But you should be able to do that with a decent finish.

Save any "leveling" for down the road. One step at a time. That's NOT your issue YET. For now, acceptable tolerance is "looks about straight". If you really want to do that preemptively, outsmart your carpenter's level. Lay it over the tip of the Vs on the bed at the headstock end and the tailstock end. DON'T TAKE IT TOO SERIOUS.... Carpenters levels have a huge "tolerance" built into them. Start with it up against the headstock. Figur out EXACTLY where the bubble is. It need not even be in the middle. Just eyeball a line width (or half a line width) of accuracy as to where the bubble actually is.. Do not tip, turn, or rotate the level in any way. Lift it from where it is, and set it on the tailstock end. If you're within a line width of the same place (even estimating when it's not on a line), if you're within a line width, you're good. You can do better (maybe, if it's crooked), but for now, that's way more than good enough. Probably not even necessary at this stage.

Or, this piece breaks out separately as well. Leave out the surface finish for a bit. Dimensional stability and repeatability needs to be worked on. With any lathe, there will be "some" deflection on every cut, so you're going to have to plan your way in. If you want o turn down two "things" to 1.942 inches, you're not going to dial in a number and get there. You're going to want to leave some room so you can take a couple or three "equal passes" at it, five, ten, fifteen thousandths each. Whatever the lathe is comfortable with in the material, how much you have to work with, etc. I quote "equal passes" because they're not equal. So the two hypothetical "things" here that you want identical, initially you can pretty much have a free for all down to some set number larger than your target. For giggles, let's say that "loose target" is 2.542, as that leaves a very convenient number. When you hit your 2.542 dimension and land just shy, or blow it out of the water... There's still 0.060 to come off of the diameter. .0.30 on the radius. Three at 0.010 depth of cut on the dial (0.020 on diameter should nail it, but each pass gets adjusted a couple of thousandths to keep you on track. for three equal passes, so that the last one, right to dimension, lands on target with the deflection accommodated accounted for. Very small cuts to sneak up on dimension are not all that predictable. You end up trying to take one or two thousandths, the tool just won't dig in, and when it does it loads up and takes three or five.... Well ground HSS tools (or any way you can get a dead sharp tool with very low tool pressure) really helps with that issue.

If you've got a tool that cuts freely, (ish), I'd toy with that. The hitting dimensions part. I would not recommend expensive materials, rather something inexpensive that you can go ahead and burn it up. Doesn't really matter that much what it is. Just big enough that you can spend some time on it without getting it so thin that the part's own deflection becomes another variable. If you don't have any tools that you feel cut somewhat freely, maybe hold off on this step, because excess tool pressure, while you can do it, it just causes unnecessarily large amounts of deflection, which just makes the learning curve that much steeper.

You're barking up the right tree, you just havn't chased a squirrel up it yet.

Take it one piece at a time. You're doing the exact same thing that I did when I drug my 9A home. That is, trying to take on everything at once. Plug it in and make parts. You'd be better served (as I would have) to plug it in and learn to make chips first.

To make a decent looking cut, assuming the lathe doesn't look like it fell off of somebody's tailgate while they were driving down the freeway, you only really need to qualify Qualify the spindle bearings (literally a dial indicator measurement) and verify that the dovetails on the cross slide and compound are tight enough to not wiggle. Then your lathe, regardless of other (reasonable) conditions, should make good cuts.

And the dimensions. Assuming that the carriage lock locks when you want it, and the cross/compound slides are dialed in tight enoug that the dials stay put while you're cutting , you should be able to hit dimensions with some practice.

And the leveling/tapering issue. Cutting tapers in particular. It's a geometrical rabbit hole, it can be a bit tricky to wrap your head around at first, but it can be considered, for all intents and purposes to be a whole separate category from the other two. You can do all the things, measure it perfect, but you're never going to get it "done" until you can measure some cuts. That takes a servicable, even if not perfect) finish on a cut, and some degree of confidence in your getting multiple cuts to come out "dead nutz" the same, so that you can confidently say that the descrepency is in the lathe bed, tail stock adjustment, etc. Outside of a quick check for gross errors, step one and step two have to come first. .
Wow!
Jake thank you so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply. I’m going to have to read it many times to take it all in. There’s so much more to this than simply spinning a chunk of metal against a cutting tool, it’s a science. I think it’s going to be a very interesting and challenging journey. Again, thank you for your time.

The AR5 grade C2 brazed cemented carbide tool that you are using needs to be ground to correct shape on a green silicon carbide grinding wheel to perform. As bought, they need sharpening and shaping. And a little bit of nose radius would help.
Im beginning to realize this is a science and so much more to it than I imagined. It’s going to be a long, challenging and interesting journey. Thank you for your reply

Your taper may be more to do with the tailstock side-to-side adjustment rather than the bed being level. Also brass can be great to turn, but it can also be very 'grabby'. Usually you use tools with low or zero top rake for brass.

Not that you can't use brass to learn on, but it is pretty pricey these days and the tool grinds you learn there won't work well on mild steel.

I wouldn't worry about the bed being level until you get some experience getting the surface finish you are looking for. For that, you can chuck up a piece in the chuck alone (no tailstock) as long as it doesn't stick out more than around 3X it's diameter. Then turn away playing with tooling, speeds, feeds. You can worry about long turning and twist in the bed after that. It's all an experiment and learning experience at this point.

I just got a 3d printer about a month ago and every print is a 'why did that turn out like that' experience - when there are no work deadlines it all about journey!
John,
I didn’t know the tail stock was adjustable, I guess that’s today’s challenge. I’ve learned through this thread that I need to learn to grind HSS tools too. Guess I’ve created a monster.

Back