Automatic transmission

changing oil/filter is maintenance. never fixed anything unless filter was plugged - in which case the front pump would be screaming

I agree changing fluid and filter is maintenance. It’s maintenance when you change at regular recommended intervals. It’s not maintenance when you decide to change when your having a problems.

From my experiences an Automatic transmission having problems on a high mileage car/truck is most likely fubared inside. 99% of the time an oil change and filter will exasperate your problem. Original oil has been in there contaminated with clutch pack material slightly opening passages causes pressure variables. Putting new oil in my experience will just allow the trans to slip more.
Your best bet is to bring to a shop that can do pressure readings. At least that will verify what’s your problem. Clutch packs, converter,valve body can be anyone of the problems.

There are definately manual transmissions for a 1500 series dodge ram. My dad had one a 02 2500 ext.cab 5speed. I’m sure theirs one sitting behind someone’s barn just rotting apart.
I will look into it. Thanks a lot man

Back