Automatic transmission

Back when the "great recession" was starting in 2008 I had a shop in Phoenix rebuild the transmission in F250. They only charged me $1000 cause they needed the work and were friends of a guy that I brought kart motor heads to in the same complex. It didn't really need it at the time but I'm glad I let them do it, think they did a little extra to make it better....

Since then I've owned my own powersports/automotive business complete with a 10,000# hoist which I shut down in 2014.

One of the best things about running that business is I now know pretty much what jobs I'll take on myself and which ones I'm going to farm out.

Transmission rebuild, definitely having someone else do that one....

My criteria for deciding goes a little like this.

1. Do I have to lay on my back in the driveway for more than an hour?
2. Does it require special tools I need to buy or make?
3. How much are the parts vs. labor?
4. How likely am I to mess it up requiring more parts, tools, and more hours on my back in the driveway?
5. Could I be doing something else that will pay more than what it costs to take it to the shop?
6. Is it something that I need to learn because I'll be doing it again, or is it a one time deal?
7. Do I trust the shop to get it right? (trick question, I know the guys I'll use and they're excellent)

While I've never actually rebuilt an automatic transmission I do know how much swearing is involved to remove and reinstall one. That alone is something that would tilt my scale heavily towards farming this job out. The last miserable laying on my back in a puddle of oil and coolant in a half frozen shop job I did was changing the oil cooler on my 7.3L F250. I couldn't find anyone who knew how to do it in northern Michigan so I tackled it myself.

If you're young and don't have any money it's probably the right thing to do, but if you're old like me (58), and have a decent job, maybe not so much.

Definitely get an estimate from a shop you trust first regardless. That way if you end up bringing it to them you'll be prepared for the bill;)

John

Back when the "great recession" was starting in 2008 I had a shop in Phoenix rebuild the transmission in F250. They only charged me $1000 cause they needed the work and were friends of a guy that I brought kart motor heads to in the same complex. It didn't really need it at the time but I'm glad I let them do it, think they did a little extra to make it better....

Since then I've owned my own powersports/automotive business complete with a 10,000# hoist which I shut down in 2014.

One of the best things about running that business is I now know pretty much what jobs I'll take on myself and which ones I'm going to farm out.

Transmission rebuild, definitely having someone else do that one....

My criteria for deciding goes a little like this.

1. Do I have to lay on my back in the driveway for more than an hour?
2. Does it require special tools I need to buy or make?
3. How much are the parts vs. labor?
4. How likely am I to mess it up requiring more parts, tools, and more hours on my back in the driveway?
5. Could I be doing something else that will pay more than what it costs to take it to the shop?
6. Is it something that I need to learn because I'll be doing it again, or is it a one time deal?
7. Do I trust the shop to get it right? (trick question, I know the guys I'll use and they're excellent)

While I've never actually rebuilt an automatic transmission I do know how much swearing is involved to remove and reinstall one. That alone is something that would tilt my scale heavily towards farming this job out. The last miserable laying on my back in a puddle of oil and coolant in a half frozen shop job I did was changing the oil cooler on my 7.3L F250. I couldn't find anyone who knew how to do it in northern Michigan so I tackled it myself.

If you're young and don't have any money it's probably the right thing to do, but if you're old like me (58), and have a decent job, maybe not so much.

Definitely get an estimate from a shop you trust first regardless. That way if you end up bringing it to them you'll be prepared for the bill;)

John
True, but I don’t know any good shops around. Will see how it goes. Prob will try to get a used one and work on the existing one. I do have a decent job but I am spread thin lately

True, but I don’t know any good shops around. Will see how it goes. Prob will try to get a used one and work on the existing one. I do have a decent job but I am spread thin lately
Pays to have a decent local shop you trust. Ask around, there should be at least one.

Swapping in a known good unit is a fair plan, My truck in a 1997 but it's a Heavy Duty F250 with the 7.3L turbo diesel.

John

first thing to do with any auto transmission problem is change the filter and fluid. If it hasn't been done in a good while (almost 100% likely) then it certainly won't do any harm and may just fix the problem.

Then look up the usual failures and see if your symptoms match. For shift solenoids, a bad one will usually only affect one gear, so if it's hesitating to shift whatever the gear that's probably not it. Other than that, I don't know those trucks or transmissions well enough to guess.

I should have gotten a manual truck. But they are very rare nowadays.

Having a manual may reduce your chances of having issues, but won't eliminate them...

I've had to partially rebuild two 5 speed manuals in the last 10 years... both were Jeep AX15s.

One broke the 5th gear set while on the interstate, locking the transmission in 5th gear... of course, then I broke the shift bushing while trying to get it out of 5th so I could drive it home.

The second refused to stay in 3rd gear... it would shift into 3rd, but pop out when the clutch pedal was released. That turned out to be a severely worn shift fork.

-Bear

Having a manual may reduce your chances of having issues, but won't eliminate them...

I've had to partially rebuild two 5 speed manuals in the last 10 years... both were Jeep AX15s.

One broke the 5th gear set while on the interstate, locking the transmission in 5th gear... of course, then I broke the shift bushing while trying to get it out of 5th so I could drive it home.

The second refused to stay in 3rd gear... it would shift into 3rd, but pop out when the clutch pedal was released. That turned out to be a severely worn shift fork.

-Bear
I have experience only with European manual transmissions. Usually the manual transmission let you know her displeasures with the clutch and the stick feeling off before any real damage is done. Only had issue when pulling heavy stuff and burned the clutch. I got lucky and have not broken any gears yet.

At least they don’t have electronics to go bad. I wish there where manual transmission for 2004 ram 1500 I would have gladly mess with adapting that one than fixing an automatic transmission.

first thing to do with any auto transmission problem is change the filter and fluid. If it hasn't been done in a good while (almost 100% likely) then it certainly won't do any harm and may just fix the problem.

Then look up the usual failures and see if your symptoms match. For shift solenoids, a bad one will usually only affect one gear, so if it's hesitating to shift whatever the gear that's probably not it. Other than that, I don't know those trucks or transmissions well enough to guess.
I did not change the filter. Will do it first

I have experience only with European manual transmissions. Usually the manual transmission let you know her displeasures with the clutch and the stick feeling off before any real damage is done. Only had issue when pulling heavy stuff and burned the clutch. I got lucky and have not broken any gears yet.

At least they don’t have electronics to go bad. I wish there where manual transmission for 2004 ram 1500 I would have gladly mess with adapting that one than fixing an automatic transmission.
Did you check around with say JEGS? They may have a non computer conversion.

From my experiences an Automatic transmission having problems on a high mileage car/truck is most likely fubared inside. 99% of the time an oil change and filter will exasperate your problem. Original oil has been in there contaminated with clutch pack material slightly opening passages causes pressure variables. Putting new oil in my experience will just allow the trans to slip more.
Your best bet is to bring to a shop that can do pressure readings. At least that will verify what’s your problem. Clutch packs, converter,valve body can be anyone of the problems.

There are definately manual transmissions for a 1500 series dodge ram. My dad had one a 02 2500 ext.cab 5speed. I’m sure theirs one sitting behind someone’s barn just rotting apart.

Back