Automatic Threading Stop on SB Heavy 10

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I finally got motivated to try to work this out.

It's still in the "proof of concept" phase, but I think it's going to work. I need a stronger spring for the disengagement. It works okay without any load but can't overcome the pressure of the lead-screw on the half-nut when actually cutting. First tests give a repeatability of about .005 in. or better.

Last edited:
that is super neat. I'd love to see how the mechanism works.

That's fantastic work. Looks much simpler than the retracting tool holder thingy that I recall seeing.

Pivot point for the release lever is retained under the threading dial.

20220606_124101.jpg

The trip rod was originally attached at the top of the release lever. It required too much travel to achieve release.

20220606_124242.jpg

So I moved the point of attachment to the middle of the lever.

20220608_131733.jpg

20220608_163424.jpg

20220608_131726.jpg
I had to D&T 3x 10-24 holes in the apron :bawling:, one for the trip spring anchor and two for the trip rod support at the headstock end.

Hoping to find the right spring. I plan to detail the parts (radius the corners etc.) then black oxide.

Last edited:
That's fantastic work. Looks much simpler than the retracting tool holder thingy that I recall seeing.
This one doesn't retract the tool, just stops the carriage. I can only imagine the complexity of a tool retractor.

Hey, that's neat. I had been trying to figure out how to do it by pushing not with a sear and spring.

Hey, that's neat. I had been trying to figure out how to do it by pushing not with a sear and spring.
I had too, that's what stumped me. Then I saw someone else's approach. It was much more sophisticated (complicated) than mine, but it gave me the idea.

Back