Atlas Th 54 Bull Gear Locking Pin.

I jumped the gun here. The spindle is now reinstalled. I tightened the set screw on the back gear and I can easily engage and disengage the pin, allowing the back gear to free-wheel from the pulley or not. But as soon as I tighten the set screw for the pulley, everything's back to where it was--pulling the pin out is tough but doable, and I can't get the back gear to free wheel. Loosen the set screw on the pulley, and everything's fine. Obviously, the pulley set screw has to be snug. Any thoughts? Might the problem be with the pulley--perhaps it's out of round for some reason?

Might the problem be with the pulley--perhaps it's out of round for some reason?
It is more likely that the pulley bore is worn so when you tighten the pulley it pulls it off center. That would mis-align the pin and the hole. You may have to replace that. I am not sure if Clausing has those in stock or not.

Isn't there a bushing inside the pulley? If so, might it work to just replace that, or does the pulley come with the bushing?

OK. But I thought that earlier you had written that with the pin pulled out to the stop, you could see that it was still sticking into the hole in the cone pulley???

Also, there is NO set screw in the spindle cone pulley. Read the Warning message that is up in the Sticky area. But briefly, the screw in the pulley is an oil plug and the threads should NOT go through the pulley far enough when the screw is snugged down for the pulley to be locked to the spindle. The obvious reason is that when in back gear, the pulley spins about 6 times as fast as the spindle.

There is only one way to compensate for the grievous error made by some PO. And that is to buy a box of nylon patch set screws and stop tightening the plug when it is about one turn below the bottom of the pulley "V". The reason for buying more than one screw is that the screw is on the conditional daily lubrication list and must be removed either daily or monthly plus before any usage of Back Gear. And self locking screws aren't supposed to be re-used. But you can sometimes get away with two or three uses.

Thanks. The screw in the pulley had been tightened by some PO. Once I loosened that, all is now working.

Back