Atlas QC54 Way Wear

That's what I did- most of the parts I make are 3" or less so the wear isn't a big issue
These machines are light duty; trying to achieve perfection in one area will only reveal other weaknesses
Ah yes, but that's half the fun. You chase a weakness and improve it, then you chase the next one. You get to learn the basics of the lathe as you "fix" it and by the time you've addressed as much as you can you've probably "outgrown" it anyways.

Then when you sell it on, you can ask top of the market for your "restored" lathe and have the satisfaction that you sent it down the road in better shape than when you got it.

You'll never get your money back, but if that's a concern I think you just might be in the wrong hobby....;)

Just trying to point out the big picture, in addition to grinding the bed and carriage, the rack sometimes needs to be re-positioned on the horizontal to engage fully with the carriage pinion. Ditto with the leadscrew if the halfnuts cannot be adjusted- it can get involved in a hurry
-M

Last edited:
Back