Atlas QC54 Way Wear

ChandlerJPerry

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hey everyone, I'm finally getting around to work on my lathe refurb again and started working on the bed today. First off, I highly recommend this krud kutter product to anyone dealing with rust, a quick 30 minute application plus a go over with a drill mounted wire brush gave me fantastic results!

Moving on to my main question, how concerning is this groove worn into the front way of the machine? Checking it with a straight edge and feeler gauge, it appears to be about .002" deep. This machine is going to be for light hobby use when (more like if!) it gets finished, so I'm not trying to achieve Swiss accuracy here, I just don't want to set myself up for problems in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_20220718_170707.jpg
    IMG_20220718_170707.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20220718_170711.jpg
    IMG_20220718_170711.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220718_175929.jpg
    IMG_20220718_175929.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220718_185533.jpg
    IMG_20220718_185533.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220718_184844.jpg
    IMG_20220718_184844.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 31
That's a fair amount of wear, you may have to accept a compromise when shimming the carriage for the full travel from end to end on the bed
(take out all the play near the chuck and you may bind up near the tailstock; the machine will cut taper)
Depends on what types of parts you are going to make and the accuracy needed
Most older machines have more wear near the chuck

Last edited:
With the Atlas flat ways, thats a good bit of grooving going on there. Any chance there might be a local shop with the capability to regrind the ways flat again?

The ways on my TH42 aren’t exactly “perfect”, but nowhere near that amount of wear on the ways. It almost looks like grinding grit or cast iron dust got into/under the felt way lubricators and someone just kept using it until it wore a groove in the top of the bed way.

If you have it torn down this far, its worth it (to me) to go the extra distance to make it as “factory fresh” as you can….

That's a fair amount of wear, you may have to accept a compromise when shimming the carriage for the full travel from end to end on the bed
(take out all the play near the chuck and you may bind up near the tailstock; the machine will cut taper)
Depends on what types of parts you are going to make and the accuracy needed
Most older machines have more wear near the chuck
Yes, this wear is up near the headstock, the end of the bed is in great shape.
With the Atlas flat ways, thats a good bit of grooving going on there. Any chance there might be a local shop with the capability to regrind the ways flat again?

The ways on my TH42 aren’t exactly “perfect”, but nowhere near that amount of wear on the ways. It almost looks like grinding grit or cast iron dust got into/under the felt way lubricators and someone just kept using it until it wore a groove in the top of the bed way.

If you have it torn down this far, its worth it (to me) to go the extra distance to make it as “factory fresh” as you can….
I would definitely be willing if there were someone in my area and the cost wasn't too prohibitive. I'm located in northern Utah. What kind of shops would you recommend looking for that would have a surface grinder large enough? I formerly worked at an aerospace machine shop, but as I recall the surface grinder there would be too small to be up to the task.

I set mine up adjusting the gib on the back of the carriage so it moves freely, just a little bit looser than normal at the headstock, so it ends up noticeably tight at the far end. Like Mark said you're going to be doing 90% or more of your work in the first 18" or so. I also lock the carriage for all operations where I can, i.e. parting, facing, etc.. My old Craftsman/Atlas has done a lot of good work for me. Mike

Don't forget that there will be wear on the carriage too; regrinding an Atlas is not cost-effective in my opinion unless your
brother in law has a grinding shop

Yes, this wear is up near the headstock, the end of the bed is in great shape.

I would definitely be willing if there were someone in my area and the cost wasn't too prohibitive. I'm located in northern Utah. What kind of shops would you recommend looking for that would have a surface grinder large enough? I formerly worked at an aerospace machine shop, but as I recall the surface grinder there would be too small to be up to the task.
I’d start by calling your local machine shops. If they don’t do that type of work they might know someone local that does. Worst thing that can happen is no one does it or someone does and its too expensive.

Biggest issue you’ll probably have is finding a shop that can handle a 54” bed. Thats pretty big to be ground or surfaced.

Costs nothing to call and ask though….

Don't forget that there will be wear on the carriage too; regrinding an Atlas is not cost-effective in my opinion unless your
brother in law has a grinding shop
Fair point... maybe it's in my best interest to tighten up the carriage and just run with it. I know these machines aren't typically worth a ton of money, so I'm not trying to invest more than it's worth by any means.

That's what I did- most of the parts I make are 3" or less so the wear isn't a big issue
These machines are light duty; trying to achieve perfection in one area will only reveal other weaknesses

Back in 1985 I bought a QC42 from an estate that was "sway-backed" about .008" and I took the bed to a grinding outfit about 70 miles away in Portland, OR. They squared it up and took off way less material than I expected. When I dropped the bed off at their shop, they had a South Bend bed sitting on the floor waiting to be ground, so that type of work was common for them. I remember the cost as being not cheap, but reasonable. I have been very pleased with the accuracy of that lathe since the repair. I think the casting had "seasoned" for 40 years, and had stabilized. I am sure that the sway-back was not from wear, but from warpage of the casting. The lathe had been bolted to 2x8 Fir boards, so they didn't put it in a bind!

Back