Atlas mill home at last

Alright,so here are the pictures I was talking about in the last post. Notice in the first picture I have the rack circled,and the second picture is the back side of the knee that I removed. My question is shoudnt there something that is supose to connect to the rack and the knee? Is it possible I have miss matched castings?

atlasMill10 rack.jpg atlasMill10 001.JPG

That rack is part of the knee elevating mechanism for the MHC model. The MFC model used the knee elevating screw. Apparently your machine started life as a MHC then was converted. I think the MHC was used for production work where the same operation was repeated over and over, such as in a factory setting where the machine was making the same part all day long (these machines were used in WWII as part of the war effort). The MFC version (which yours has been converted to) is a much better machine for the kind of work we do.

If you've got a manual, there are pictures and exploded drawings of the different types to give you an understanding.

Those parts have nice scrape marks on the mating surfaces. Your machine seems to have little wear, at least on the knee.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up for me HalcyonDaze,when I first noticed that rack I thought I must have misplaced some parts or something. Yes the scraping marks are all very visable so I guess this particular machine was never used in a shop. As far as how work is progressing, untill I can get the arbor out im just going to work on stripping paint. I will post some pictures either later today or tomorrow to show my progress.

Thanks for clearing that up for me HalcyonDaze,when I first noticed that rack I thought I must have misplaced some parts or something. Yes the scraping marks are all very visable so I guess this particular machine was never used in a shop. As far as how work is progressing, untill I can get the arbor out im just going to work on stripping paint. I will post some pictures either later today or tomorrow to show my progress.

Hang tight, I will see if I can get help pointed your way tomorrow Robert!

Just looking at the pictures of the finished coolant pump,wow I can't belive what a good job your friend did Uncle Buck!!

Just looking at the pictures of the finished coolant pump,wow I can't belive what a good job your friend did Uncle Buck!!

He did a smashing job. Like I said before, Ray is an incredibly gifted and talented individual. Speaking of that pump, you have one remaining part that originally went with the coolant system. There was a small cast iron bracket that was bolted to the side of the machine right above the window where the belt enters the body of the machine. I noticed in the pictures that you removed that bracket. I would be interested in buying that bracket from you if possible.

Thats right Uncle Buck I remeber now, there was a bracket. I will go downstairs and find it for you today.I will put up a picture or two to make sure its the right one then I will pm you. ALso I will put up a picture or two of how the paint stripping is going.

No need to put up a picture. I knew exactly what that bracket was the moment I saw it!

Last edited:
So today I started to get serious about stripping off the old paint. I thought I would start with a couple of small parts. I’m using Jasco premium paint stripper, it seems to work quite well if you apply it in thick coats. Looks like the motor mount is made of bronze.

atlasMill11 002.JPG

Back