Atlas mill home at last

Any one have a PARTS Machine? I am missing the original pulleys from Motor to Jack Shaft & Belt guard? .....

Those are rare and pricey. I patiently hunted on ebay and one finally showed up, attached to an Atlas 1/2 hp motor! Paid a small fortune for it, but now have a slightly more powerful mill (the motor barely fit).

I chucked up my arbor yesterday and drew it in and was alarmed at how much force was neeeded to knock it back out. If I were in your shoes, I'd find a long grade 8 or similar hardened bolt that will bottom out in the drawbar and whale on it with a small sledge. Sometimes a single blow with something bigger is better than many blows with something light. The drawbar is designed so that its threads and the threads in the arbor take the impact. You want a bolt that has enough threads to bottom out in the arbor, allowing the bottom of the threaded hole to take the impact. After yesterday's experience, I think I'll make one just for knocking out the arbor and use the drawbar just for drawing in.

The rear spindle bearing will likely get ruined from all this impacting, if it's not already. It might help to hold another sledge hammer on the opposite face of the mill head, just above the arbor, to absorb impact.

Any one have a PARTS Machine? I am missing the original pulleys from Motor to Jack Shaft & Belt guard? .....

When I restored my machine I needed original pulleys too. The only place I found them was ebay. I might be having some of those guards cast out of aluminum and selling some of them here shortly.

Well still no luck getting the arbor out, but as you can see from the pictures below I have taken the rest of the mill apart. Hopefully this will make the job of cleaning and painting much easier.Boy oh boy there was a lot of grease and grime in there!!! Im also going to need to replace the gaskets,any ideas on that?

atlas mill9 009.JPG atlas mill9 008.JPG atlas mill9 010.JPG atlas mill9 011.JPG atlas mill9 012.JPG atlas mill9 013.JPG

So you never said, did you try a bearing separator?

- - - Updated - - -

I have an actual Atlas drive belt like you show in the above picture that never did fit my machine that I never sent back for refund. Hopfully it is correct for your machine. If you want it I will send it to you free. I bought it from Clausing and it was supposed to be correct.

Well still no luck getting the arbor out, but as you can see from the pictures below I have taken the rest of the mill apart. Hopefully this will make the job of cleaning and painting much easier.Boy oh boy there was a lot of grease and grime in there!!! Im also going to need to replace the gaskets,any ideas on that?

Make your own. You can order material from McMaster Carr.

No I didnt try the bearing separator idea,the autozone near me is out of stock. Im going to have to come up with something else.

No I didnt try the bearing separator idea,the autozone near me is out of stock. Im going to have to come up with something else.

You are making a mistake, there is no substitute for a bearing separator. As for gaskets, my machine didn't have any either. Order a separator online from harbor freight and try that. And do you want the belt?

Last edited:
Well the more I look at the parts the more it seems like it’s just congealed grease and grim left over from 40 or so years and not the remains of some gaskets.

I agree with Uncle Buck. You really need to put the arbor and spindle into tension before you strike them anymore.

Back