Atlas/Craftsman 12 spindle back gear (10-242) bushing wear

hmm, in that case I would suggest cutting (somehow) oil distribution grooves in each bearing to allow oil to get to the whole surface. It's going to be tricky as those types of bearings are more commonly stationary (think spindle bearings) with provision for an oiler or oiling system. Oilite or sintered bronze bushings are better for this kind of application with intermittent oiling.
I've seen those...with the grooves cut...but they were out of my price range. Yep...that's about how broke I am...but still smiling.
Right now I just have the Unimat...Fraulein Turner as I like to call her...and a mill. Put new spindle bearings in her and mounting her to the granite really helped removing a lot of the vibration.
DSCF4964.JPG
Don't think I want to try cutting the grooves with what I got as far as work holding and tooling. For now I just got to get by with what I've got....when that SS check comes in it's almost gone the same day. Got enough for food...and it's just me so it ain't so bad. A lot of people got it A LOT worse than me. Still paying on the house....but all my tools are paid for : )

If I oil them before I run it that day it should be fine. I can check the temp of the shaft with a gun while it's running and if it's heating up too much I just have to pull it apart again. With my present $$$ flow I'll be lucky to have it running by fall. Of course....when my NESARA checks start coming in I'll be able to afford new socks and underwear : )

Crap.....lol....the more I think about it....I think I will have to cut a groove in them. Maybe just a straight groove...width wise and a hole thru the middle of the groove. That would probably be fine for the gear bushing...but for the pulley bushings it would need to be a spiral I guess. With the oil hole in the pulley being in the center space between the 2 bushings...a straight groove might not pull enough oil in.
What do you think?
Hey...thanks again for your input !!!

I used the same 660 bronze bushings in my Atlas 12"- I drilled a few small holes in them so hopefully they will hold some oil
We will see! I use backgear infrequently so they should last a while

You can make a radial groove from the oil hole with a shop made boring bar, which would be well within the capabilities of your Unimat, and then axial grooves from there with a carbide burr in a dremel. Probably wouldn't look super pretty but then who's going to see it? I've done that on lathe slides and they work just fine distributing oil

To clarify: the large Bull Gear is keyed to the spindle- we are referring to the spindle take off drive gear which is coupled to the pulley with dogs/lugs
The factory calls it a back gear which is kind of a misnomer
Instead of Loctite you could use something like Rectorseal #5 plumbing compound which on exposure to air thickens to a sticky clay-like paste
which would hold the screw fast but permit easy removal.

To clarify: the large Bull Gear is keyed to the spindle- we are referring to the spindle take off drive gear which is coupled to the pulley with dogs/lugs
The factory calls it a back gear which is kind of a misnomer
Instead of Loctite you could use something like Rectorseal #5 plumbing compound which on exposure to air thickens to a sticky clay-like paste
which would hold the screw fast but permit easy removal
I was going to use the Loctite 680 for installing the bushing in the gear...the old one came out a little too easy...but looking at the inside of the gear it didn't look like it was slipping or spinning. The #5 compound sounds like a good idea for the screw.
Thanks!

You can make a radial groove from the oil hole with a shop made boring bar, which would be well within the capabilities of your Unimat, and then axial grooves from there with a carbide burr in a dremel. Probably wouldn't look super pretty but then who's going to see it? I've done that on lathe slides and they work just fine distributing oil
I think I'll give it a try...on the old bushings...practice a bit first. I'd hate to mess up my stock and have to reorder.
Thanks!

Hey guys...had to put some projects on the back burner...but finally getting back to the lathe rebuild.

I cut some oil grooves in one of the old spindle bushings for practice....could use some feedback when y'all have the time.
I have a smaller sphere bit for the dremel...but the one I used to cut these grooves looks pretty close to the size on the pro-cut photo.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
BillDSCF5022.JPGDSCF5026.JPGDSCF5031.JPGbronze_toggle_bushings.jpg

looks fantastic to me!
Thanks for the feedback Matt!

I don't know why....for some reason the grooves in the pro-cut photo just look like they're wider and deeper than they need to be.
Obviously the manufacturer knows more about bushings and oil grooves than I do.

A "LOT" of times I just overthink a project....hate having to do a job twice to get it right.
I'll stick with the same size bit I used in the pics above.....and not overthink it.

(hmmmmm....maybe I'm not drinkin enough......):beer bottles:

Sorry for the delay guys...too many projects going and not enough $$$ for parts or supplies.

Anywho...my first time working with Loctite 680. Man...does that stuff set up quick. They say about 4 min working time...make it about 2 min.
I used a .082 - #45 drill bit and 4-40 tap. Almost went too deep cutting the threads but it worked out fine. The screw is tight before protruding
into the oil groove.
So far so good....

DSCF5033.JPGDSCF5034.JPGDSCF5036.JPG

One step closer to re-assembling the spindle.
The bushings were a nice fit on the shaft...but after pressing them into the pulley gang I couldn't get it on.
Used 1000 grit and WD40...worked it a bit and all is good.

DSCF5138.JPG

Back