Atlas CNC'd

Well, that TL-5 weighs about 14,000 lbs and has a 25 hp (IIRC) motor, so that's not a fair comparison. I've run a couple if them, not bad machines. I bet those I ran are worn slap out now, if they aren't junked out. It was late 80's early 90's when I ran them, and they were 78 models I believe. They would peel the iron, but nothing compared to the LL-7 we had in the next building. Seems it had a 50hp.

Tony Wells link=topic=3354.msg24578#msg24578 date=1315279341 said:
Well, that TL-5 weighs about 14,000 lbs and has a 25 hp (IIRC) motor, so that's not a fair comparison. I've run a couple if them, not bad machines. I bet those I ran are worn slap out now, if they aren't junked out. It was late 80's early 90's when I ran them, and they were 78 models I believe. They would peel the iron, but nothing compared to the LL-7 we had in the next building. Seems it had a 50hp.

yea it is an unfair comparison.. i liked running the mori's, good simple heavy duty machines. the tl5's we had were special built for an oil company, they had twice the webbing in the casting, a good low profile heavy machine for sure... the sl-8 we had would take 1/2" depth of cut and could take more but our inserts didnt have enough edge, it would roll chips off d-2 the size of silver dollars and sounded like rocks hitting the doors.. wish i had all the metal i turned off in those machines..

i would probably have a hard time running a lathe like wjstapes because i've always ran cnc machines, it would take me some time to get use to it for sure... i've been thinking about going and looking at an Atlas in the town over, hes asking $500, i'm still up in the air though.... i want to build a cnc plasma/router and that $500 would go a long way in that machine..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back