Atlas CNC'd

wjstape

wjstape
Registered
My Atlas that has been CNC'd. WJS[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3][attachimg=4][attachimg=5][attachimg=6]

IMG_0335 (Small).JPG IMG_0337 (Small).JPG IMG_0338 (Small).JPG IMG_0341 (Small).JPG IMG_0342 (Small).JPG IMG_0343 (Small).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
have more details on this? did you do it yourself? issues in doing so?
What's driving it? Mach 3? stepper torque, power?

Yes I built it myself. Uses Mach 3 with a smooth stepper so that I can use the tablet computer you see on the right hand side of the lathe, The electronics are housed in the PC case under the lathe. Contained in the case is a Varible Frequency Drive to power the 1 HP three phase spindle motor. There is a spindle speed board in the case along with a power supply and of course the motor drivers (Gecko's) along with a breakout board.

I kept the original sadle but replaced the Atlas crossfeed with a CNC ready Sherline crossfeed. The longitudinal leadscrew is 1/2 -10 acme treaded rod using two back-to-back anti-backlash nuts and driven by a 475 inoz stepper.

Let me know if you want more detail. WJS

Thanks for the info. How do you find the smoothstepper? Had any issues with it?

A very tidy conversion i must say. It's harder to keep them looking so tidy on the smaller machines. (not speaking through experience, just what I've witnessed)

Thanks for kind words. As I mentioned before the smoothstepper allowed me to use a Fujitsu Tablet computer as the host for Mach. Works great. I did have a noise problem initially but with a little bit more work on my grounding scheme the noise problem when away.

I'm in the middle of CNCing a 10" Logan lathe and I'll use a smoothstepper on that setup as wll. WJS

how well does it cut steel? also can you use it manually?

Remember when you CNC a lathe like an Atlas you don't change it's fundamental characteristics. a 6-18 Atlas is a small and relatively light weight machine. But yes it can cut steel very effectively. Below you will see a picture of an adapter I made to allow me to use my Atlas 4 jaw chuck on the 4th axis of my Tag CNC mill. The adapter is made from steel and the large thread is 1" 8tpi. Even with a 29.5 degree approach the last several cuts took a lot of ass - I had to use the back gears but if I were cutting it manually I still would have had to use the back gears.

[attachimg=1]

I use the lathe in three modes: Fully automatic, using Mach's conversational wizards, and manually. In order to run it manually I use a device called a ShuttleXpress WJS

http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/22

[attachimg=2]

IMG_0350 (Small).JPG sx.jpg

nice job for sure... you just made me add another project to the list, its now behind building a cnc plasma... i cant believe more havent done this

i was thinking more in the line of like a prototrak lathe where you can actually run it cnc or in jog with the controls, or control it completely manually with the hand wheels.

what kind of depth of cut can you take in cold rolled steel?

is there a reason you didnt use the factory lead screw?

Hi. On a 6' Atlas I wouldn't take more than .010". On a CNC lathe you don't really care how many cuts you take because you fire it up and walk away, it does all the work. :)

The trick with a conversion like this is to get as close to zero backlash as you can. In a CNC machine backlash will kill you. As far as I know there are no anti-backlash nuts avaiable for the factory leadscrew so you have to make a new leadscrew with a thread that has anti-backlash nuts available. This setup has less than .001" backlash in both the x and z axis. WJS

wjstape link=topic=3354.msg24506#msg24506 date=1315250294 said:
Hi. On a 6' Atlas I wouldn't take more than .010". On a CNC lathe you don't really care how many cuts you take because you fire it up and walk away, it does all the work. :)

The trick with a conversion like this is to get as close to zero backlash as you can. In a CNC machine backlash will kill you. As far as I know there are no anti-backlash nuts avaiable for the factory leadscrew so you have to make a new leadscrew with a thread that has anti-backlash nuts available. This setup has less than .001" backlash in both the x and z axis. WJS

I guess that mori-seiki tl-5 i ran back in 1987 spoiled me ;) time is money..

Back