Atlas 7B or similar?

That's really cool!

It seems that time, inflation, and location have conspired against me - there are few in Colorado, and none for me :(
Well, I doubt it would be cheap to ship, but I'd be willing to sell the Atlas to someone that would appreciate it, especially since I've got the big G&E.

Feel free to send me a PM if you'd want to discuss!
Mike

I found this in the wild the other day. Assuming a person wanted a project.

Attachments

• 8B8DCED1-5CB8-4657-B110-F146A5C27B99.jpeg
    8B8DCED1-5CB8-4657-B110-F146A5C27B99.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 16
I had my South Bend shaper and cabinet shipped from Massachusetts to Georgia using Fastenal's Blue Line LTL freight service... they initially quoted me $185 to ship it, but when I picked it up, they only charged me $125.

That has been a couple of years ago... it's likely more expensive now, but may be worth looking into.

-Bear

I found this in the wild the other day. Assuming a person wanted a project.
I've seen pictures like that - they always make me a bit sad if nobody is working on them.

I wonder what the total number of units produced is for the 7B and family - accounting for breakage and abandonment, and secret squirrel hordes, there can't be more than a few hundred of these left in any sort of shape.

I had my South Bend shaper and cabinet shipped from Massachusetts to Georgia using Fastenal's Blue Line LTL freight service... they initially quoted me $185 to ship it, but when I picked it up, they only charged me $125.

That has been a couple of years ago... it's likely more expensive now, but may be worth looking into.

-Bear
I've heard about Fastenal for this sort of thing; I have a machine p-type in my lab at the moment that I'll need to freight to the client at some point, thanks for reminding me that Fastenal is (was?) an option.

As I think, I recall vaguely a recent rumor that they stopped the service, but it's easy enough to confirm or reject... maybe I ought to call Fastenal... I just don't like talking to people on the phone... no animated smiley faces

:laughing:

So I found this on my local craigslist, though far enough from me to not let me offer to make a ride to check it out: https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/tls/d/grants-pass-metal-shaper/7442450388.html

Another alternative is to try to build an Acto8. You'll need machining ability and welding ability (plus the ability to read... non traditional plans), but it seems like a pretty nice one!

I bought the plans right before I got my Atlas7B, and was considering tooling up (since it required welding). It LOOKS like a really nice shaper, quite a bit nicer than the 7B and not much larger.

So I found this on my local craigslist, though far enough from me to not let me offer to make a ride to check it out: https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/tls/d/grants-pass-metal-shaper/7442450388.html

Another alternative is to try to build an Acto8. You'll need machining ability and welding ability (plus the ability to read... non traditional plans), but it seems like a pretty nice one!

I bought the plans right before I got my Atlas7B, and was considering tooling up (since it required welding). It LOOKS like a really nice shaper, quite a bit nicer than the 7B and not much larger.
That's funny, I've seen this ad quite a few times.

Sometimes, when the longing gets too much, I search all of craigslist.

One day I found one 2 hrs north of me, for $750.00, but by the time I called there were already two bids on it.

That's funny, I've seen this ad quite a few times.

Sometimes, when the longing gets too much, I search all of craigslist.

One day I found one 2 hrs north of me, for $750.00, but by the time I called there were already two bids on it.
yeah, the small shapers go REALLY quick. I listed mine (before I traded it) for $2000 (without the factory vise, on a junky craftsman stand), and had about 30 responses by the time I finished my lunch! They are certainly popular. I think the guy I traded it to ended up getting at least that.

I wonder what the total number of units produced is for the 7B and family - accounting for breakage and abandonment, and secret squirrel hordes, there can't be more than a few hundred of these left in any sort of shape.
I think your estimate is wildly low. If I had one to sell though, I'd agree with you. Lol
I sold my Ammco 7" shaper for $650.00. Actually less, but the details are fuzzy. There was only one person who even made an offer. It's all luck and timing.

Back