Atlas 7B or similar?

MERLIncMan

Registered
Registered
I have no practical use for it, but I spent all day today looking at all the ebay and all the craigslist.

You got one?

Hey MERLincMan,
I do have a nice 7B which started as a literal rusty pile of parts included in a lot of 4 machines I purchased. To my surprise, the only missing bits were the belt guards and vise (you NEVER seem to find them)... Had to remake a bent table elevating shaft, and rewire the original motor and starter circuit, but other than that it's a great little machine. The guy even had an original (though beat-up) Atlas-branded wood bench/table for it (not sure it was meant to the shaper, but it fits well)

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_173258.jpg
    IMG_20190728_173258.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190729_162749.jpg
    IMG_20190729_162749.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190905_182513.jpg
    IMG_20190905_182513.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190918_102339.jpg
    IMG_20190918_102339.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 21
That's really cool!

It seems that time, inflation, and location have conspired against me - there are few in Colorado, and none for me :(

There is a complete 7B with vise, original stand, and rotary table at an estate sale in Davenport, Iowa right now, 2-24-2022. They are asking $1,000. I have no connection with this company and a friend sent me the link. Knowing how hard these are to find with all the attachments and a complete machine, it does bear watching. https://www.facebook.com/heartlandestates This is the link to the sale. Hope this is okay to post this. Just trying to help guys find machines.

I had an early model one for a while. Fun little machine but I found it was very limited in what it could do. I sold it and bought a 16" G&E shaper.

I had an early model one for a while. Fun little machine but I found it was very limited in what it could do. I sold it and bought a 16" G&E shaper.
Yeah, but I'll bet you miss it whenever you've got a 1/4"x1" keyway to cut real quick!

:D

I did a similar thing to NCjeeper. I started with a 7B that I adored, but found the table-height really limiting for my projects. SO, I bought a 28" hydraulic shaper instead :)

With a shaper, you can generally do anything with a bigger one that you can with a smaller one. The only exception is when the body of the ram ends up getting in the way, as it is necessarily further from the tool.

I did a similar thing to NCjeeper. I started with a 7B that I adored, but found the table-height really limiting for my projects. SO, I bought a 28" hydraulic shaper instead :)

With a shaper, you can generally do anything with a bigger one that you can with a smaller one. The only exception is when the body of the ram ends up getting in the way, as it is necessarily further from the tool.
So, what you're really saying is that you have a 7B that was once loved, but was too small for your heart, and thusly you have decided to freight it to one who would love it because of its limitations, rather that in-spite of them,

Yes?

:boxed in:

So, what you're really saying is that you have a 7B that was once loved, but was too small for your heart, and thusly you have decided to freight it to one who would love it because of its limitations, rather that in-spite of them,

Yes?

:boxed in:
If I still had it, perhaps! I ended up trading it in exchange for the rigging services to get my big shaper to my place!

Back