At what point are you considered a "Machinist"?

I don't know if this is relevant to the discussion...

I was trained to operate manual machines in a job shop while I was in high school... after I graduated, I started college working toward a degree in Mechanical Engineering. It didn't take me long to figure out that I simply wasn't that interested in being an engineer.

I left college and (eventually) enrolled in a technical college and earned a Machine Tool Technology certificate. I worked for a few years as a machinist, (job title, not a self-imposed title) but just couldn't seem to make enough money to live on.

In 1997, I caught a break and landed my current job as a 'machinist' in a facility that overhauls commercial aircraft engines... making significantly more money.

The downside is, I am locked into mostly being a machine operator, running a CNC Vertical Lathe, with some fairly simple manual mill and lathe work thrown in occasionally...

Several years ago, I began realizing that I had forgotten more about true machining than I remember. That bothered me somewhat, so I finally bought myself a lathe, mill, surface grinder, etc, etc,... and have been attempting to 'prove' to myself that I can still somewhat function as a 'machinist'.

Interestingly enough, I had a discussion with a coworker last week about whether we thought we could go to work in another shop as a 'machinist' and be successful... I would like to think so, but I just don't know...

Bottom line... I have never considered myself a true machinist... but the company that I work for does, and they pay me pretty well to be one. I guess that will have to be good enough for me.

I'm hoping that I will be able to stay where I'm at long enough to retire, and never have to find out if I can still be competent as a real machinist.

I do claim to be a 'hobby machinist', though...

-Bear

I feel more like a "Maker" than even a "Hobby Machinist". My skills are wide and shallow. I learn enough to make what interest me at the time whether it is electronics, programing, PC Board layout, CNC or manual milling and lots more. but I don't hardly spend any time learning more than what is needed to complete the specific project. Although I have paid the bills in the past writing software, designing and building industrial control computers, I was still very limited in my approach. Thus Not an Engineer and Not a machinist. Just a Maker.

Some day you are going to get on an airplane with no pilot. Just the autonomous "Otto Pilot". ;)
I'm a techno-geek, however I'm not so sure I could get on that plane.
It's going to take one hell of an effort in programming to match a human pilot's skills in an emergency situation.
I've been flying since my grandfather took me up at (3). Been in a few 'hairy' flights both in private and commercial.
In that since I'll have to claim 'Old School', I want a human at the controls. :cool 2:

Projectnut...
I respect and value your opinion and insights on this board. I have learned from you.
But, the difference between this board and Practical Machinist is this.
This board is welcoming and very tolerant along with tremendous insight on machining. A few bad apples mixed in.
PM is outright hostile, arrogant and filled with Prima donna's. With a few good apples mixed in.
I no longer visit PM. I no longer tolerate arrogance nor liars in my life. I have no need.
That sums it up perfectly and accurately.
I posted twice there when I got my Logan way back when. And I got flamed to hell and back.
You'd think with the effort someone puts into a 'flame' post it would be easier to just answer a Noob's question.
I saw a post a couple of years ago over there by @george wilson where he replied to someone's post in his usual succinct and knowledgeable manner.
He was flamed. You come to realize that there's a large number of frustrated individuals hanging out there.
There's several 'good apples' - no doubt, but they are few and far between.

That sums it up perfectly and accurately.
I posted twice there when I got my Logan way back when. And I got flamed to hell and back.
You'd think with the effort someone puts into a 'flame' post it would be easier to just answer a Noob's question.
I saw a post a couple of years ago over there by @george wilson where he replied to someone's post in his usual succinct and knowledgeable manner.
He was flamed. You come to realize that there's a large number of frustrated individuals hanging out there.
There's several 'good apples' - no doubt, but they are few and far between.

I'm surprised anyone over there would give you grief about a Logan lathe. There are over 1,500 threads (not posts) on Logan's dating back to 2005. The fellow I bought my Sheldon from is a member of that board. At the time I bought my lathe he was also selling a Logan he had rebuilt. I was considering it as a second machine. However since it was close to the same size as my Seneca Falls machine I decided to pass on it. If Hadn't already had the Seneca Falls I would have definitely purchased it.

Here's a picture of the Logan I was considering:

100_0376.JPG

As an after thought did you possibly mention the name Wards or Montgomery Wards along with the name Logan?

I'm surprised anyone over there would give you grief about a Logan lathe. There are over 1,500 threads (not posts) on Logan's dating back to 2005. The fellow I bought my Sheldon from is a member of that board. At the time I bought my lathe he was also selling a Logan he had rebuilt. I was considering it as a second machine. However since it was close to the same size as my Seneca Falls machine I decided to pass on it. If Hadn't already had the Seneca Falls I would have definitely purchased it.

Here's a picture of the Logan I was considering:

View attachment 331547

As an after thought did you possibly mention the name Wards or Montgomery Wards along with the name Logan?
No, didn't mention Wards at all. It's a pure-bred Logan 210.
It was a simple question, had to do with a jammed up back gear lever. The little key that drops down was buggered up.
This was in the late '90s. A Logan 210 was not worthy of their vaulted forums and I was told that in no uncertain terms.
Nowadays it's a different story. Amazing what Ad revenue does for determining what's 'allowed'.

Gentlemen, one of the forum rules is to not make disparaging remarks about other forums here on our site. While I know some of us have had unpleasant experiences on PM, let's leave them there and not rehash them. I want to steer the discussion back to the OP's original intent ... please.

Gentlemen, one of the forum rules is to not make disparaging remarks about other forums here on our site. While I know some of us have had unpleasant experiences on PM, let's leave them there and not rehash them. I want to steer the discussion back to the OP's original intent ... please.

To get us back on track, my original idea was to try to find out what it takes to consider myself a machinist. I'm nowhere near a point that I would call myself that. But I wondered about a course of study, or a set of skills that I would need to work toward.

I'm happy just to have the equipment and be able to do what I do so far. I'll always be learning and looking for more.

To get us back on track, my original idea was to try to find out what it takes to consider myself a machinist. I'm nowhere near a point that I would call myself that. But I wondered about a course of study, or a set of skills that I would need to work toward.

I'm happy just to have the equipment and be able to do what I do so far. I'll always be learning and looking for more.

You might want to check with your local technical colleges. The one in our area offers evening classes for hobbyists, and those wanting to learn how to operate manual and CNC machines. It doesn't cover all the subjects like strength of materials, or required math, but it does give hands on experience with instructors who are at the minimum Journeymen in the trade.

I took a couple evening courses at ours when I was looking for a surface grinder. A local vendor alerted me to the fact that they had over a dozen different brands and models that could be used during the evening classes. Over the course of a semester I tried them all. As you might expect I became spoiled. I gravitated toward the most automated, most expensive one in the shop.

Reality hit when I started pricing them out. In the end I purchased a totally manual machine.

When I took an evening course way back when, Basic Tool & Die design, the Instructor paused me on my project to sharpen end mills on the SG.
That's what I ended up doing for the rest of the course... :bang head:
Same thing happened in high school shop class. Must be a knack that I have. Wish I knew what that 'knack' was...

Back