Are they ever big enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a confession to make. I wear gloves at my lathe...

No, not 'work' or riggers gloves; not natty tan mesh-backed driving gloves; not sexy black leather opera gloves and not, despite what people might assume based on some of the surface finishes I have achieved, boxing gloves either.

Black nitrile examination gloves. Like latex gloves but slightly thinner and slightly less durable. They're pretty much a second skin.

I wear them because my partner has an aversion to dirty hands and no matter how much I tell her a bit of dark oily stain on the finger tips makes me feel more manly, she's not having it. Obviously I wash my hands and scrub my fingenails when I'm done (some unbranded version of Deb lime gel) but if I don't wear gloves, there's a residual grubbiness that is unacceptable to my better half.

However, there are those who insist the 'no gloves' rule is sacrosanct, never mind the fact that my own skin is probably more likely to resist tearing than these nitrile gloves.

If someone wants to wag their (ungloved) finger at me, they should feel free to do so, safe in the knowledge that I will not object or get shirty with them. I understand the underlying message that the 'no gloves' (and no tie/long sleeves/cape/16th century ruff) rule is giving and that it is a vital message to get across.

I could not imagine being cross with people who's genuine goodwill intention is to improve awareness of best practices in safety.

(I will keep on wearing my nitrile gloves though.;) :grin:)

Nitriles are just about the only acceptable thing to wear.

The right soap however can make all the difference.

Stoko kresto is just about the best I’ve found. It’s pricy, but with the amount you need and the convenient wall mount dispenser it really works and goes a long way.

It’s got walnut shell in it donchaknow.

I have a confession to make. I wear gloves at my lathe...

No, not 'work' or riggers gloves; not natty tan mesh-backed driving gloves; not sexy black leather opera gloves and not, despite what people might assume based on some of the surface finishes I have achieved, boxing gloves either.

Black nitrile examination gloves. Like latex gloves but slightly thinner and slightly less durable. They're pretty much a second skin.

I wear them because my partner has an aversion to dirty hands and no matter how much I tell her a bit of dark oily stain on the finger tips makes me feel more manly, she's not having it. Obviously I wash my hands and scrub my fingenails when I'm done (some unbranded version of Deb lime gel) but if I don't wear gloves, there's a residual grubbiness that is unacceptable to my better half.

However, there are those who insist the 'no gloves' rule is sacrosanct, never mind the fact that my own skin is probably more likely to resist tearing than these nitrile gloves.

If someone wants to wag their (ungloved) finger at me, they should feel free to do so, safe in the knowledge that I will not object or get shirty with them. I understand the underlying message that the 'no gloves' (and no tie/long sleeves/cape/16th century ruff) rule is giving and that it is a vital message to get across.

I could not imagine being cross with people who's genuine goodwill intention is to improve awareness of best practices in safety.

(I will keep on wearing my nitrile gloves though.;) :grin:)
all good points, as an engineer but a machinist noob i like the safety reminders (wont promise to always follow the advice). in this case i think the issues were obvious but there may be another Noob following along.

Stoko kresto is just about the best I’ve found. It’s pricy, but with the amount you need and the convenient wall mount dispenser it really works and goes a long way.

Good to know... A friend gave me a few boxes of Zep Cherry Bomb Hand Cleaner with two dispensers (when he closed his Midas shops)... I am in the last gallon... will give that one a try.

Zep Cherry Bomb Hand Cleaner with dispenser.jpg

Good to know... A friend gave me a few boxes of Zep Cherry Bomb Hand Cleaner with two dispensers (when he closed his Midas shops)... I am in the last gallon... will give that one a try.

View attachment 477041
Grease daily at work and home. The gritty sharpness of the walnut shell along with the moisturizers give you beauty parlor hands with frequent use.

You’re soaking in it.

IMG_3999.jpeg

Yep, I'd certainly not wear anything else on my hands.

My watch is left in the house, I only ever wear short sleeves (I actually have a couple of old tatty sweatshirts that I've cut the sleeves off at the shoulder, for when it's cold); I wear safety rigger boots in the winter (lovely warm faux sheepskin lining) and safety shoes in other seasons and I have a bunch of decent quality and very comfortable safety glasses that don't leave my face when I'm in the workshop (except when I change to a different diopter to suit the occasion: 1.5 generally, 2.0 for bench stuff or horizontal bandsaw work, 2.5 for lathe, drill press and grinder work and 3.0 for reading).

When on therindiner or sander I wear a respirator; I expect I did enough damage to my lungs when I was a smoker. ;)

The grim reaper better bring some mates; I'm not going without a fight! :grin:

As for the hand cleaner, I have 10 litres of this Deb Lime-a-like stuff to get through first. ;)

It is quite handy as it comes in 5 litre bottles with a pump dispenser (like the ketchup dispensers you chaps have over your side of the pond).

Also this stuff has pumice stone in it. Stone...

...and it's stone that's come out of a fiery volcano, not like yer hippy tree-hugging, organic-material walnut. :cool:

:grin:

Seriously though, yeah, I'm up for trying something different. It's also a recommendation that's actually available in the UK for once. :grin:

I'll buy a 2 litre bottle of this Kresto stuff and if it's notably better than what I've got, I'll get the wall dispenser and a few more bottles and my current couple of bottles of cleaner can go in the back of the cupboard for use some time; not like it'll go off. :)

Grease daily at work and home. The gritty sharpness of the walnut shell along with the moisturizers give you beauty parlor hands with frequent use.

You’re soaking in it.

View attachment 477047
I can still see some dirt underneath some of those fingernails...:finger wag:

I should also say, I also use Rozalex Dri-Guard barrier cream. That does seem to make a big difference. The gloves do tear and split (I normally get through 3 or 4 pairs in an evening) and the barrier cream seems to help with preventing any grime from getting embedded if I don't notice a split or tear.

Yep, I'd certainly not wear anything else on my hands.

My watch is left in the house, I only ever wear short sleeves (I actually have a couple of old tatty sweatshirts that I've cut the sleeves off at the shoulder, for when it's cold); I wear safety rigger boots in the winter (lovely warm faux sheepskin lining) and safety shoes in other seasons and I have a bunch of decent quality and very comfortable safety glasses that don't leave my face when I'm in the workshop (except when I change to a different diopter to suit the occasion: 1.5 generally, 2.0 for bench stuff or horizontal bandsaw work, 2.5 for lathe, drill press and grinder work and 3.0 for reading).

When on therindiner or sander I wear a respirator; I expect I did enough damage to my lungs when I was a smoker. ;)

The grim reaper better bring some mates; I'm not going without a fight! :grin:

As for the hand cleaner, I have 10 litres of this Deb Lime-a-like stuff to get through first. ;)

It is quite handy as it comes in 5 litre bottles with a pump dispenser (like the ketchup dispensers you chaps have over your side of the pond).

Also this stuff has pumice stone in it. Stone...

...and it's stone that's come out of a fiery volcano, not like yer hippy tree-hugging, organic-material walnut. :cool:

Seriously though, yeah, I'm up for trying something different. It's also a recommendation that's actually available in the UK for once. :grin:

I'll buy a 2 litre bottle of this Kresto stuff and if it's notably better than what I've got, I'll get the wall dispenser and a few more bottles and my current couple of bottles of cleaner can go in the back of the cupboard for use some time; not like it'll go off. :)
Pumice, you never mentioned pumice. Its likely the equivalent in cleaning action, not sure about the base, but man, 5L containers?

That's almost a gallon.

As to being available over there, its a Swedish company I believe and complies with some tree hugging law they have. Something about not making cement in the sewers.

Yeah, wear dust protection. I started my career in the bad old days when brown lungs and sparks in your eyes was a manly thing.

Had a coworker lose an eyes with a hammer and a friend lose one due to a faulty replacement spring on the brakes for his 69 Barracuda, both of which are partly why Im not particularly shy of cautioning people about safety.

The guy with the spring had his hopes of being a professional MX racer dashed as he really wasn't as fast as he could be afterwards.

Just a pair of glasses would have spared them both a lot of heartache.

I can still see some dirt underneath some of those fingernails...:finger wag:

I should also say, I also use Rozalex Dri-Guard barrier cream. That does seem to make a big difference. The gloves do tear and split (I normally get through 3 or 4 pairs in an evening) and the barrier cream seems to help with preventing any grime from getting embedded if I don't notice a split or tear.
That was only cleaned up enough for break time.

If Im handling the wife there's a scrub brush involved along with the hippynuts.

Gotts go, its .50c wing night!

Was sadly disappointed last time I went to replenish my favorite hand cleaner. Boraxo Powdered Hand Soap. Been using it since I was a kid (Dad was a mechanic, Gramps had a body shop - so grew up with Boraxo and Lava bar soap). Appreciated that it not only didn't leave a fragrance, but actually neutralized the smell of cutting oils, et al. According to the interweb, Dial no longer makes Boraxo hand soap. Still available as stock gets chewed up, but everyone is now gouging for it. Wishing now I'd bought a case of it. Just using Dawn dish soap now.

Don't care for the smell of the Orange stuff - especially dislike the Cherry ZEP. :fatigue:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back