Are they ever big enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultradog MN

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Today I wanted to bore out this crank and press in a square bushing to fit the screw on my milling vise.
If you look close you can see where I had to grind about 1/32" off the handle to swing it.
Sometimes your machine ain't even close to big enough.
Today it was. But juuust...

Attachments

• 2024-01-31_07_24_32.jpg
    2024-01-31_07_24_32.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 80
Probably how I would have done it... If I need to do something, and there are several ways to go about it, I will take the most difficult and risky path... Not because I like doing it, but because I sometimes do not see a different way around it.

Father-in-law is so good at bringing common sense when I was doing something... too bad he can't go in the garage anymore.

When they finish my garage, this is the first poster that will go on the wall...

1706824306133.png

For those not familiar with the photo... old cartoon character...

Today I wanted to bore out this crank and press in a square bushing to fit the screw on my milling vise.
If you look close you can see where I had to grind about 1/32" off the handle to swing it.
Sometimes your machine ain't even close to big enough.
Today it was. But juuust...

Sometimes, the only answer is the simple answer, danger included.

Nicely done!

Probably how I would have done it... If I need to do something, and there are several ways to go about it, I will take the most difficult and risky path... Not because I like doing it, but because I sometimes do not see a different way around it.

Father-in-law is so good at bringing common sense when I was doing something... too bad he can't go in the garage anymore.

When they finish my garage, this is the first poster that will go on the wall...

View attachment 476516

For those not familiar with the photo... old cartoon character...
And or :grin:
IMG_5232.jpeg

I have a confession to make. I wear gloves at my lathe...

No, not 'work' or riggers gloves; not natty tan mesh-backed driving gloves; not sexy black leather opera gloves and not, despite what people might assume based on some of the surface finishes I have achieved, boxing gloves either.

Black nitrile examination gloves. Like latex gloves but slightly thinner and slightly less durable. They're pretty much a second skin.

I wear them because my partner has an aversion to dirty hands and no matter how much I tell her a bit of dark oily stain on the finger tips makes me feel more manly, she's not having it. Obviously I wash my hands and scrub my fingenails when I'm done (some unbranded version of Deb lime gel) but if I don't wear gloves, there's a residual grubbiness that is unacceptable to my better half.

However, there are those who insist the 'no gloves' rule is sacrosanct, never mind the fact that my own skin is probably more likely to resist tearing than these nitrile gloves.

If someone wants to wag their (ungloved) finger at me, they should feel free to do so, safe in the knowledge that I will not object or get shirty with them. I understand the underlying message that the 'no gloves' (and no tie/long sleeves/cape/16th century ruff) rule is giving and that it is a vital message to get across.

I could not imagine being cross with people who's genuine goodwill intention is to improve awareness of best practices in safety.

(I will keep on wearing my nitrile gloves though.;) :grin:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back