Are these even worth looking at ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member

I'm not looking for projects by any means , but this ad has been on forever . I'm wondering if the parts are worth anything ? :dunno:

I would think the parts are worth a lot to the people who need them but personally, I wouldn't buy the collection on spec. My position is unless I really have a use for something, I won't spend much more than "free".

I have been clearing out my barn and rather than haggle with someone over prices, I just set it out by the road or run a for free ad on Craigslist.. I have enough hassles in my life.

Probably would sell over on Old Woodworking Machines (OWWM). If you are wanting a working lathe probably not.

I'm not looking for projects by any means , but this ad has been on forever . I'm wondering if the parts are worth anything ? :dunno:
Not a fan of lathe beds without wide V ways.
Although, many a good part have been made on lathes like this.
It’s a project alright.

I'm thinking $100 for it all . I think I met these people when they had a shaper for sale . And no , no projects for me , but if I could spread the parts around it may be worth a look . Who knows , but I think they're within a mile or two from me .

I think $100. for each lathe with all the related parts for it is fair. The seller's "$500. each" is more the value if the lathe was assembled, working, but in need of some restoration. The seller's price doesn't apply to a jigsaw puzzle of parts IMO. In case my name doesn't give away the fact that I own a Norton Commando, I do, and people who sell basket case Commandos often think their box of parts is worth the same as a running bike, because "It's all there". This strikes me as much the same. The only saving grace is the guy includes "OBO" in his ad, but given his asking price, he's going to be insulted to hear "100 bucks each!"

Loos to me like one is pretty well complete. Stick the tailstock on and run it. I would consider it 1 complete and one for parts. No tooling I could see. Another $1500 to locate and find those .Would enjoy the project if near me, but I can't even find the state listed .Some of those had babbit sleeve bearings, not very accurate/truable.

Back