Are most rotary tables like this?

That's a good reason. It would be worth it to take the time to make setup repeatable by adding an alignment bar to the bottom and clearancing the mounting bolt slots as needed. I haven't torn down a vertex type RT, but I bet there's a way to zero your table to the index that doesn't involve moving the pointer. Moving the worm gear's location forward or aft with shims would be nice and proper.

Pontiac, I always square the RT to the table when I use it. Probably don’t need to. But i do.
Also the pointer does not have to be aligned in any special way, zero is where you put it, like you said
It would seem RT degree pointers are random by manufacturer.
I just find it easier (for me) to have the zeros lined up with the table slots (or 1 slot if 3 slot table) when it is flat, or when set upright to have the table slots level with the table. Seems easier to make set-ups. I could be wrong.
And moving the pointer or just drawing a line on the RT body is much easier (for me) than trying trial & error to shim the worm assembly, if that is even possible on these cheap tables.
This is just my opinion, possibly mine alone in the whole universe.
YMMV, Cheers

You're not alone in your opinion at all, and I agree that mounting an RT indexed to zero is easier and more desirable. I just wanted to point out that zero is arbitrary (the origin is defined by the machinist) and doesn't affect one's ability to perform work if it's not dead on the mark to start. We have to make do often enough in the home shop that I thought it was worth discussing how RT work can be accomplished in the absence of perfect conditions/ideal equipment.

Push or shove, two things re apparent. Home shops make do; commercials shops stick on some tape.
Me, I like some feature aligned to one or another axis too.
I'd remove the keys, align and clamp ro-tab, clock the center, make the plate per divisions you chose.
Break down set up, replace the keys, then work reconciling the table/ crank/ pointer arrangement.
BTW, I don't leave keys mounted. Just when 'dropping' tooling on and I want quick.
I can clock a vise >.001 in 1 or 2 laps. Keys have damaged more work tables than me sliding vises around in 50 years.

Back