Are Good Used Lathes Like Unicorns?

I think one needs to put this all in perspective as to time, ability, knowledge and cost. In almost every scenario individuals have been looking for months, or years for their unicorn, so for the most part one would assume one has operating machines and is looking for an upgrade or a specific machine. It assumes you can wait, drop everything at the a moments notice and drive hundreds of miles, or wait for someone to become senile and sell their machine. There is also a knowledge curve to knowing what to look for and the ability to do repairs, sometimes requiring other machines and an extensive knowledge/ability/cost to do so. When I was working my average work week was 60+ hours and on-call on the weekend, so finding a unicorn was more fairy dust. Yes, I have more time now that I am retired, but I only got into metal machining about 12 years ago and everything had to fit into a 1 car garage. Heck, if I had big old American iron, it would have taken up the whole garage.

I briefly looked at the used market when I was in Tucson when I wanted to upgrade my mill, and fortunately had a seasoned machinist to guide me through the process. At the end of the day, and looking for several months, I was disappointed a the cost of used equipment, the condition and trying to find/cost of parts to repair them. I ended up buying new, and without his help I couldn't have gotten it delivered. When you start looking at machinery in the 2+ ton range, you need both the shop space and the ability to get it there. Getting a rigger to do it on short notice, and depending on the distance can cost as much or more than the machine you are buying. My current lathe a around 2400 lbs and was offered a bigger one (3400lbs) at the same price but I couldn't manage the additional weight to get it delivered. The initial costs to get the lathe from the local freight terminal and offloaded to my home was going to be between 1.5-2K. I ended up working out a deal with the local equipment rental yard to have it delivered to them, they put it on the bed of a truck with a forklift and brought to my house for $250. It was fortunate that it worked out, but just shows that there are a lot of other obstacles and costs involved unless you have the means to get it home.

I did not, and still would not want to be searching years for a particular machine unless it was more lust then practicality of the situation. I have more than made up the cost difference by using the machine and occasionally making/selling parts. The machine does not make the machinist, but there is an enjoyment for the individual in using a particular machine. As previously noted, there are more used market options for bigger and heavier machinery but this typically falls out of the realm of hobby machinist, if one looks hard and long enough you will find what you want. The big clock on the wall is ticking down, and I would rather be using my machines then dreaming about them. Don't get me wrong, I was thought about buying my current knee mill for years, and couldn't justify the cost at the time. I looked at many other mills and was disappointing, and finally got a great deal on the one I wanted new. So it is all timing and opportunity. The one thing I have learned, is buy the best you can at the price point you can afford (buy once, cry once). Just about every time I purchased something cheaper than I wanted, I ended up being disappointed and ended up getting what I should have in the first place (and costing me more buying cheap). Part of this is a learning curve, knowing what you need and working within your budget.

I went through that process myself when I bought my Logan and if I remember right it took me about 6 months to find it.
But, it was no creampuff and I had to dump a bunch of money and time into it to get it up to speed. And I had a lathe
already.

I think the point I was trying to make is that for new people who want to get started in the hobby, 6 months to 2 years is
an awful long time to wait, and of course that assumes they know enough to evaluate what they find, which is frequently not
the case. And while there are still good buys out there, I think they're getting harder to find: these machines just aren't
getting any younger and a lot of hobby sized machines are badly neglected. And as we all know, some areas just have
more to choose from. Where I live, there was very little manufacturing, and hobby sized lathes are thin on the ground.

6 months to 2 years is an awful long time to wait

I agree - that's why "buy what you can use and learn on" then "buy your dream machine" that way if it never comes or takes 30 years you still have something to use and make things on. My first lathe wasn't perfect, but at 12X37 it did all I needed it to by a little cunning and luck.

Drove 2 hours to take a look at another used lathe, 11” Colchester. Owner said “oh yeah, bed is perfect, no wear”

Checked it and 20 thousands dip in the bed, tailstock spindle wobbles.

Agh!!!! WTF can’t sellers be honest and not waste my time.

So I’m now wasted 5 hours, and no closer to a lathe.

I’ve HAD IT, I’m just going Precision Matthews, I’m SICK OF THIS SEARCHING FOR USED CRAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m just going Precision Matthews, I’m SICK OF THIS SEARCHING FOR USED CRAP!

I don't think you'll regret your decision - I don't regret making that same decision. They are not perfect and need some tweaking and adjusting and head scratching and tinkering and research here on how others have tuned them, but when you consider the price to value ratio, they are a good choice. It will be a weight off your shoulders and a fun journey.

Not all unicorns look good my 1941 hardinge has about 1 tenth runout 10 thou of backlash it is in great mechanical shape except the one side of the cross slide but the paint is peeling all 3 layers and so is the filler it works but will be brought back to quality with new paint and scraped ways.

Lathes are everywhere . Personally I would never purchase a new lathe when there are tons available on the market . You may need to travel and have cash in your pocket . I've sold never used lathes in the past for a fraction of what they cost new . The ShopFox I sold was never used . Sold it cheap because I got it cheap . You have to be an informed buyer sometimes and realize the equipments' potential . If you're looking for brand new , buy it and pay the price . If looking for good quality used and ready to work lathes , you have to do some due deligence ( sp ) . Good equipment goes very fast because alot of people are searching to purchase it . Be ready to pounce when it shows up for sale . :)

Just got the call from the guy looking at my SG , maybe it will leave the premises . :encourage:

If you're looking for the "perfect" used lathe you might as well end the search. While many brands and models were close to perfect when they were new they won't be nearly as good after 30 to 50 or more years of use. If they were still as good as when they were built the prices would be astronomical. Every once in a while someone claims to have found a unicorn that's still NIB (New In the Box) and has never seen the light of day. When they do supposedly make this incredible find they the asking price is multiples of any machines that are currently being manufactured.

AS for owners opinions of their machines I see it as similar to individuals attempting to sell their own used cars. Some people prefer to keep a vehicle no more than 2 to 3 years. They don't want to deal with the expense and inconvenience of potential of repairs years down the road. They ask high prices thinking it still has years of service left, and would make a good vehicle for someone not willing to pay the price for a brand new vehicle

People wit older machines (or cars) seem to think the machine (or car) has served them well and still has some value above the scrap price. Again very few are knowledgeable as to the accumulated wear. All they know and care about is that it could, and still can perform the tasks it was intended to do. This would hold especially true to those using the machines for hobby purposes.

You have to compare the asking prices of similar new and used machines. In almost every case I think you'll find the used machine is a fraction of the price of a new one. Built into the lower price is some expectation that the machine isn't a "unicorn". There will be at least some normal wear, and possibly some damage if it was used in a production situation or by an inexperienced hobbyist for extended periods of time.

Wear doesn't necessarily mean the machine is non functional, or can't still make quality parts. I have a 1916 Seneca Falls Star lathe that has nearly .015" wear on the ways near the spindle. It was used for over 40 years to make small prototype parts for a vending machine company. It can still make quality parts today, but the operator needs to have the knowledge as to where the wear is and how to compensate for it.

Boy, it's hard to say. Lathes are kind of expensive on Craigslist these days, and the hobby sized ones are in short supply. An Atlas 12" just popped up for $1000. It was missing drive components and probably doesn't run. Otherwise it would be a lot more. If one considers this high, a Chinese import lathe, the Shop Fox 12" retails for $4812. Our makerspace has one of these and it is kind of flaky. It is almost impossible to hit a bore since the feeds are so loose. If you tighten the gib screws a tiny bit, the slides jam. So, when you cut, you have to put a hand on the knobs to keep them from turning. The threading transfer gear is cocked and jammed on the shaft, so it won't thread in metric. It is a fairly new lathe, but due to quality issues, punches well below its weight. Which one is the better deal? Hard to say. I'd have a hard time paying $1000 for a lathe that doesn't run and is missing parts, or even is taken apart in boxes. I think we have been spoiled by pre "stay-at-home" prices. Just a few years ago, they were a lot more reasonable on Craigslist. You could get a worn but running South Bend for about the same. I would definitely prefer that to the new import.

Status update...

After cancelling my order for a new Mainland China lathe I was back to Craigslist. Long story short - a 1 owner, 17x40 Taiwan lathe came up. About an hour north of Phoenix up in the hills. Informal estate sale. Same machine, plus a few decades, as a new Eisen Machinery 1640G (both have a 16.9" swing). Went up Saturday to check it out and the machine has age appropriate grime but in great shape. Ways are pristine. All the controls are smooth. The owner was a master machinist by trade and used this mostly for model making in his home shop so no industrial use on this one. His best friend, also a machinist, helped this guy uncrate the lathe when new and is selling it for the family. The tooling, and anything else not nailed to the floor, was sold by the kids already. Got an 8" 3-jaw and a QCTP. Kind of a bummer on tooling (lost out on a Buck chuck and a bunch of other good stuff) but I managed to snag a nice, 4,000 lb industrial lathe for $3,500. Picking up this weekend.

Didn't get pics while there but it looks just like this if you rubbed a little grease on and a few spots of paint off.

Osama 1740G.jpg

Last edited:
Back