"Arc of Shame" Repair

+1 to Ricsmall's XY vice. Well, +2 if you get a whole XY table instead of a simple vice!
+1 to Jake's solution of glued steel cover plate.

Aww, c'mon really clean, use JB weld, finish with #80 on a block, don't point out to visitors... BLJHB. No heat!!

I looks like the machine tables i see at the local school shops with every kid adding his mark. back in the 60s i was acused of welding the clamps to the welding table and had to pay the princely sum of 65 cents to replace. i miss shop class of the old days. now all the metal lathes are packed away in storage as i work at night at some schools. i even saw a CNC sherline mill not used as schools are getting away from anything that would spark an interest to go into the machinist trade.

That's nothing! I once saw a large flat belt driven drill that the table swung on the column and rotated as well that had so many drill point divots in it that there was no original surface left ------ I have seen Plastic Steel used for repairs, and it holds up well. I had an old upright drill that was drilled with so many holes that it was not worthy of welding, so I made a pattern of it and had a new one cast of iron at a foundry. Jus like new now!

I have a Walker Turner 1113-41 drill press not for sure of date manufactured. But not a dent or dimple in the table. I gave $50.00 and it was running. Though not every one has 3 phase power in there hobby shop. I have a 1996 Bridgeport J head that I bought new and a 1985 Bridgeport Boss 5 so far (knock on wood) no dents or dimples.
Jack Adams

If you weld it, you will probably warp it beyond repair. I would suggest filling the holes with JB Weld or better yet Belzona and machine them off smoothe. I did that to a used mill vice I bought and it's worked fine for years.

Back