"Arc of Shame" Repair

You could make a slurry with JB weld and cast iron dust and fill with that. An aluminum plate has some merit as
well and if thick enough one could mill some slots for mounting stuff. It all depends on if it bothers you.
It will be just as functional if you use it as is.

Just live with it, you'll get used to it and you know you're not the one that did the damage. You'll be using proper methods and the damage won't impair you. If it makes you feel better the JB weld or such will be fine.

Just live with it, you'll get used to it and you know you're not the one that did the damage. You'll be using proper methods and the damage won't impair you. If it makes you feel better the JB weld or such will be fine.

agree 100%, its just cosmetic, not to mention some people don't know what the "arc" is, you have a perfect example to share:thumbsup2:.

Brian

Stuff like that drives me nuts. Some people just don't care about the equipment they work on. They just beat it up not realizing it is a reflection of thier work. If they don't take the time to take care of thier equipment, I sometimes wonder what type of work they are turning out.

Chris

I had the arc of shame on a King Seely I bought ....but it wasn't really an arc of shame because it was on a 3/8" steel plate they had bolted on the table....so the original is pristine. Again I really wouldn't be concerned about it,it is what it is and doesnt really affect the machine, I would mount a vice and think of more important things on a good day....but if it really bothered me I think I'd make that slurry of epoxy and cast iron dust ...that sounds like a winner

+1 for the vice. Either that or braze weld and face it off

My first answer is +1 on the BIG VICE! Hah hah...

My second answer is +1 on epoxy and cast iron slurry.

Bernie

Get you a nice xy vise and spend your time drilling some holes, or something..

I wouldn't weld it. Braze it or use a big vice so don't have to look at it as others have suggested.

The problem with welding or brazing is you run the risk of warping or drawing the metal; or worst cracking the material. At 3/16" that dosent leave alot of room for resurfacing.
My two cents eorth would ne to make a steel cover plate that is exactly the same as the table and epoxy it down. The eye sore is gone the table is thicker (possibly adding to the ridgidness of it) and the surface is replacable if need be.
This is the same as others have suggested.
Jake Parker

Back