Apprentice or New to the trade machinist . What should I have to start ?

lol I am the reverse. Programming and building software systems without real word connections is not cool. Now I want to have that connection
Programmers without experience but with best-practice, software-craft, theoretical underpinnings will often make mistakes that can be can be corrected and they will get that experience as they go along.

Programmers with experience but with no best-practice, software-craft, theoretical underpinnings will often make expensive, hard to fix mistakes and make their employers wonder why their software projects are always late, hard to maintain and extend, and expensive.

It's taken nearly 100 years but the discipline of software engineering is possibly, maybe within sight of deserving its title.

Last edited:
Babyseal
Lead filled snowshoe?
I think having a hobby is the the "lead filled snowshoe"....inevitably leads to more tools, more hobbies to support your main hobby, which leads to more tools...ultimately leading to buying a lathe, more tools, which leads to buying a mill, which leads to more tools, etc. etc. etc. Somehow I've went from tinkering with a "Makeblock" robot kit I got for Christmas some years back, to buying a lathe and shopping for more tools. It all seemed so reasonable at the time...

I think having a hobby is the the "lead filled snowshoe"....inevitably leads to more tools, more hobbies to support your main hobby, which leads to more tools...ultimately leading to buying a lathe, more tools, which leads to buying a mill, which leads to more tools, etc. etc. etc. Somehow I've went from tinkering with a "Makeblock" robot kit I got for Christmas some years back, to buying a lathe and shopping for more tools. It all seemed so reasonable at the time...
I was wondering if Babyseal referred to the Frank Zappa song "Nanook Rubs It"

"Well, right about that time, people
A fur-trapper who was strictly from commercial (strictly commercial)
Had the unmitigated audacity to jump up from behind my igloo (peek-a-boo)
And he started into whipping on my favorite baby seal
With a lead-filled snowshoe"

I have a small pair of snowshoes we call the Baby Seals.

You're getting it! :grin: And all of here are enablers, too!

I was wondering if Babyseal referred to the Frank Zappa song "Nanook Rubs It"

"Well, right about that time, people
A fur-trapper who was strictly from commercial (strictly commercial)
Had the unmitigated audacity to jump up from behind my igloo (peek-a-boo)
And he started into whipping on my favorite baby seal
With a lead-filled snowshoe"

I have a small pair of snowshoes we call the Baby Seals.
"Back in the day", when the world was young, and I could still see my toes (and other body parts), I was in the water struggling to get my heavy rucksack up into the boat. I don't tan, always stay glaring white...the comment was made that I looked liked "an albino baby seal balancing a beach ball on its nose". It stuck. Since I was on a team filled with crusty old guys, and was a mouthy punk that got beat upon daily for my many and various shortcomings, in retrospect, THEY might have had the song in mind.

I setup my student workstations with the tools I'd expect them to provide entry level. There are a few items like the calculator, and various keys and drivers that have been added since these photos were take. The top three drawers are all the same across the shop and the lower drawers are more machine specific. I've replaced the 25' tape for a 16', as my drawers are not very deep. I also have a small 12' flexible tape and 6" and 12" tap handles. I was shocked to learn how expensive apprentice tools run these days.

View attachment 284976

View attachment 284977

View attachment 284978
Very nice looking. What do I need to buy to re-create the the foam cutouts that neatly holds the new student tools and how do I make it please.

Back