Apprentice or New to the trade machinist . What should I have to start ?

I setup my student workstations with the tools I'd expect them to provide entry level. There are a few items like the calculator, and various keys and drivers that have been added since these photos were take. The top three drawers are all the same across the shop and the lower drawers are more machine specific. I've replaced the 25' tape for a 16', as my drawers are not very deep. I also have a small 12' flexible tape and 6" and 12" tap handles. I was shocked to learn how expensive apprentice tools run these days.

View attachment 284976

View attachment 284977

View attachment 284978
Half decent tools are expensive and the pay scale to the cost of tools is a little off. Im in the auto repair trade … i can no longer afford to buy tools. Im at the point of just maintaining what I have.

You will need some mathematical ability . If you don't have this , take up a different trade
I also suggest that you fill not only your tool box, but also your head with some basic electrical facts. i believe it will help your career significantly if you would just learn these things: Volt, Amp, Ohm, Watt, Kilowatt, Horsepower and Kilowatt hour. What are they and how they are related. It takes about an hour to go through this, and it lasts the rest of your life.

This is great information for someone like myself to get started. Thank you all for your knowledge and input.

Question for @forhire (or anyone else) in post #10 above what kind of foam is that?
It’s terrible foam.

In theory it seems good, but you will soon run out of room in the box, and also run out of $$$ and room for new boxes.

Put the money for fancy foam insert’s towards more versatile items.

As to items needed:

A good rechargeable flashlight.

A mirror on a stick.

Optical magnification, either hand held or my preference head mounted. I have this one. I’m thinking like a toolmaker with this one, but it may also be valuable to a machinist depending on the work.

YOCTOSUN LED Head Magnifier, Rechargeable Hands Free Headband Magnifying Glasses with 2 Led, Professional Jeweler's Loupe Light Bracket and Headband are Interchangeable https://a.co/d/66MUNnw

Carbide scriber with magnet.

Skip the dial calipers and go direct to good digitals, Mititoyo are my preference. Much more durable and accurate long term than dial. Cost difference is negligible.

Skip the digital mics though. Their pretty, but their also big and durability is inverse of the caliper situation.

Then again if you’re breaking micrometers…..

Last edited:
I would advise someone thinking of becoming a machinist to take a beginning course in computer science. Most community colleges offer them. The jobs around here seem to be in the programming of machining centers and coordinate measurement machines. Any computer language experience would be a good head start. I don't know if there is a lot of opportunity for conventional machinists. I might be wrong.

I would advise someone thinking of becoming a machinist to take a beginning course in computer science. Most community colleges offer them. The jobs around here seem to be in the programming of machining centers and coordinate measurement machines. Any computer language experience would be a good head start. I don't know if there is a lot of opportunity for conventional machinists. I might be wrong.
lol I am the reverse. Programming and building software systems without real word connections is not cool. Now I want to have that connection

Steel toed boots or steel toed sneakers/shoes. Lost track of how many times they’ve saved my feet from dropping/crushing injuries.

spend some coin and get comfortable ones because you’ll be wearing them often and for long periods…

Back