Apprentice exercises.

I came up with 8.078"

Here is how I did it:

Diameter x Pi to get total circumference 4.5 x 3.14159 = 14.137155

There are a total of seven sections of the circumference. Each section is 2.019593571" (Circumference of 14.137155 divided by 7)

There are four sections of circumference between hole 1 and hole 5. 2.019593571 x 4 = 8.078374284"

Shortened up to three places gives 8.078"

Chuck --Never ever say you are wrong till you know for sure. Yes, you are wrong according to my calculations, but then who is to say I am not the one that is wrong. Ain't I a stinker. :anyone:

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

Terry so far you are the same as me. You are smarter than the average bear. :lmao::lmao:

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck --Never ever say you are wrong till you know for sure. Yes, you are wrong according to my calculations, but then who is to say I am not the one that is wrong. Ain't I a stinker. :anyone:

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

Terry so far you are the same as me. You are smarter than the average bear. :lmao::lmao:

"Billy G"

1. YES! You are a stinker. Glad we got that settled!

2. Maybe not smarter, just figured I would offer another way to calculate it without using the sine table. Sort of a double check on the math for those that did.

Another way to calculate it: Diameter x Pi x 4/7 = 4.5*3.14159*4/7 = 8.078374285

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually you got me on circumference. I believe what I found the first time was the straight line distance from hole to hole. I then started all over to find the circ. I got an answer but it to was off. I got 10.09798.

Thanks for working that out and explaining it. I will be writing this in my notes.

Would you use a formula like this on say a roto table?

- - - Updated - - -

Not only was I wrong, but your way is so much easier then the chicken scratch I got over here. I drew up some to practice. Works perfect. Thanks guys
1. YES! You are a stinker. Glad we got that settled!

2. Maybe not smarter, just figured I would offer another way to calculate it without using the sine table. Sort of a double check on the math for those that did.

Another way to calculate it: Diameter x Pi x 4/7 = 4.5*3.14159*4/7 = 8.078374285

No, in short. On a rotary table just divide 360 by the number of holes. A rotary table is in degrees not inches. Yes, this was a word oriented problem, the key word being Circumference. When you see a problem like this one it is best to read it more than once before jumping in. Your answer was correct for a straight line answer.

"Billy G"

No, in short. On a rotary table just divide 360 by the number of holes. A rotary table is in degrees not inches. Yes, this was a word oriented problem, the key word being Circumference. When you see a problem like this one it is best to read it more than once before jumping in. Your answer was correct for a straight line answer. "Billy G"
Yes this is why I have a rotary table, It takes me hours to look up the formulas, more hours for the math. However some time the mathe is the only way to do it.

Sorry for jumping in here, but trying to follow along to learn too, so I'm clear is the answer to the exercise 10.097 or 8.078? I think it's 10.097 but wanted to be sure..
thanks the OHAHOH will help me a lot.

Last edited:
OIC, thanks I see my mistake, only 4 spaces between hole #1&5, not 5 spaces. That is a good exercise.

Back