Anyone raise their lathe a few inches?

I am glad I asked this here.
Some good ideas and also good to know I'm not the only one to think about this.
By the way, I guess I was playing a little fast and loose with the truth. I haven't measured my height in at least 25 years. So I still think of myself as 6'1" and 160 lbs like I was 40 years ago.
Just measured my height and maybe it's the cheap china tape measure I used but It's only reading 5' 11 1/2" now. And my weight is reading about 191 lbs but that is probably the cheap china scale my wife bought.
But I still want to raise my lathe.
Okay?

For my 13 x 40 TurnPro, I originally made 2 boxes of 6" steel channel and mounted the lathe on top. It was amazing how much more comfortable the lathe was to use. When I moved to the new shop, there was already a 6" concrete pad in the shop, so off came the welded boxes and I mounted the lathe on the pad. I am not particularly tall (5' 10") but I am much taller than whoever the machine was designed for.

I have a friend that needed to raise his offshore 16X72 lathe up a lot. He used 8 pcs of 4X4 tubing, welded a top on them with a divot in the middle of each one. doing this, he raised his lathe about 5", which is the right height for him. the leveling bolts went into the depressions in the top caps.

I have knee, and ankle issues, I have a stool that lets me view longer runs. Certain operations I need to stand, but I don't seem to have to bend over that much with the factory height.

I needed to raise up my new to me bench and used 4x6 wood blocks. I drilled a 1/2 deep hole in the blocks to keep the legs from walking off the blocks. The top of the bench is 35" up from the floor. So far so good.

IMG_4050.JPG

I am glad I asked this here.
Some good ideas and also good to know I'm not the only one to think about this.
By the way, I guess I was playing a little fast and loose with the truth. I haven't measured my height in at least 25 years. So I still think of myself as 6'1" and 160 lbs like I was 40 years ago.
Just measured my height and maybe it's the cheap china tape measure I used but It's only reading 5' 11 1/2" now. And my weight is reading about 191 lbs but that is probably the cheap china scale my wife bought.
But I still want to raise my lathe.
Okay?
Just use that same chinese tape measure when raising the lathe and the heights will work out fine ;)

I am 6'3" and here is how I raised my 1440GT, not my design. I copied it from JBOLT. It raised it up 6 inches and it's perfect for me.

Attachments

• IN PLACE.jpg
    IN PLACE.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 67
I am 6'3" and here is how I raised my 1440GT, not my design. I copied it from JBOLT. It raised it up 6 inches and it's perfect for me.

Can you provide some more details? I
Need to build risers for my 1236.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just happen to have downloaded Rifleman1384's files from the thread where he detailed the project. I was looking for ideas as well.

Attachments

• Head base riser_001.png
    Head base riser_001.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Tail Base Riser_001.png
    Tail Base Riser_001.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 31
My 10K under drive with metal cabinet sits on 4" casters.

Back