Anyone know this tool/cutter?

!I highly recommend not using it in a had held drill!

Who says you have to run this at mill cutting speeds? Just slow way down. While remodeling my home, I used a much cheaper version with cutters on both sides of the centering drill bit many times. Mostly I was cutting holes in dry wall and/or 90 year old plaster and lathe for 6-7 inch diameter recessed lighting fixtures. With a variable speed hand drill there is nothing unusually dangerous about this process, but when doing it over head the plaster was kind of dirty. So, after cutting a dozen or more of these and and completely fouling my good Makita drill, I put a pie pan on the drill side to catch some of the plaster dust from getting into my drill .... and goggles for my eyes. Before using the pie pan catcher the plaster dust fell right into my good Makita drill and it eventually stopped working. I had to take the drill completely apart and clean it to get it to run again. So, I went to Home Depot and purchased a cheaper variable speed throw away drill to finish my plaster holes!

Dave L.

I mostly cut 4" holes in exterior blocking for dryer vents and 6" holes in wood I beams to run heating. Perhaps 300 holes over the years. all wood, with a single cutter circle attachment indistinguishable from the one in post #1. Nowadays I use huge hole saws - 3 times as fast and far less exiting!

Back