Anyone know if this tool post would work on a Jet 1440A?

Yes post is the same as a AXA but taller. I use a AXA on my Jet BDB1340A.

Yes post is the same as a AXA but taller. I use a AXA on my Jet BDB1340A.
Thanks for the reply. I have a 5/8 set of indexable tool holders that don't quite work with the factory post. The tip in the insert is about .20 high of centerline.

Thanks for the reply. I have a 5/8 set of indexable tool holders that don't quite work with the factory post. The tip in the insert is about .20 high of centerline.
It isn't going to get better with a bxa compared to an axa, you go up in size for stiffness and to move the tool higher.

It isn't going to get better with a bxa compared to an axa, you go up in size for stiffness and to move the tool higher.

I could just take .20 off the base of my tool post then and bring the tool down that way right? I was looking at that for the adjustable tool holders.

Suggest you consider a CXA tool holder. They work fine on my 14" lathe and are set up for 3/4" shanks, with the XL version good for 1" shanks.
Seems like your lathe can use a heavier duty QC tool post and holders.

Taller is the only part that counts as the footprint has no effect on the tool. It does allow one to use bigger tools, and it can be stiffer as well, naturally. May have to mill off the bottom to lower the tool to center line if needed.

I could just take .20 off the base of my tool post then and bring the tool down that way right? I was looking at that for the adjustable tool holders.
Take a pic, taking .20 of of the tool post itself will not lower the tool at all. But I might be miss understanding you.

I would take .20 of the bottom of the tool shank itself.

I have this style tool holder. If I take .20 off the bottom it’s going to lower all the tool holders .20.

61nVvnsXgcL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Back