Anyone here use a dental drill for removing broken taps and stuff?

I use a dental drill every day, I think it will work. Don't force it, let it do it's job. You will need air and air control unless you go with an electric handpiece set up, but this tends to be expensive. If you remember going to the dentist he or she uses a footbrake that is on the floor below the chair to turn the air on and off, it is said to be all or non, on and off but this is not truly factual. The hose connections are very small and go on to barbed connectors.
Beware some of the very cheap handpieces having poor bearings and at that speed they chatter and can easily brake off the bur, under load. Wear safety glasses.
Good Luck

I use a dental drill every day, I think it will work. Don't force it, let it do it's job. You will need air and air control unless you go with an electric handpiece set up, but this tends to be expensive. If you remember going to the dentist he or she uses a footbrake that is on the floor below the chair to turn the air on and off, it is said to be all or non, on and off but this is not truly factual. The hose connections are very small and go on to barbed connectors.
Beware some of the very cheap handpieces having poor bearings and at that speed they chatter and can easily brake off the bur, under load. Wear safety glasses.
Good Luck

What lube do you use in your dental drill? This drill manufacturer calls for Their special lube which I figure is probably medical grade. I just gave it a squirt of marvels mystery oil in the air line before using it (like any other air tool) and it seemed to work fine.

For now I just used what I had laying around to control it. I put a paint gun regular set for 30psi on the input of a blow gun, and made a needle adapter out of a scrap piece of metal because I couldn't find my sports ball air needle.

I drilled with one hand and controlled the blow gun in the other hand. I will look into a foot control after I use the thing more.

Here re is the needle valve I made. I should have kept my mini lathe. It was great for stuff like this, mostly because I could get my face inches from the work without worrying about getting my head ripped off.

chris

54792aea2cd5c26bc37ccc2ffa98148c_zps89c6907a.jpg
086d5419a8e44e09a4a43c5fd0ea9c7b_zps9042f29f.jpg

54792aea2cd5c26bc37ccc2ffa98148c_zps89c6907a.jpg

086d5419a8e44e09a4a43c5fd0ea9c7b_zps9042f29f.jpg

You can use pretty much any lightweight oil, highspeed oil is designed for prolonged baking at 270F for 30 minutes as they have (should) sterilize before each use. Since you probably won't be doing that.....................

The foot switch is variable if its working correctly.

Back