Anyone have a metal shop in their basement.? Lathe stand ideas?

Do you guys want to see a video?
Of course!!

I have an Atlas10F, so would be interested in seeing how this turns out for you, especially seeing the work -- if any -- that you need to put into the 10D.

Our house is on top of the garage where my machines live. Access to the house is via a stairwell. Like @projectnut I use Oatey Dark Thread Cutting Oil, and have never had complaints from my SO about odors in the house. Noise is a different story.

To keep chips out of the house, I wear a dedicated pair of shoes to work down there.

FWIW, I built a stand for my Atlas, based loosely on the hardwood stands Atlas sold for their their lathes. It's pretty rigid, and the lathe has stayed level for several years.
Atlas QC-42 Bench.jpg

Of course!!

I have an Atlas10F, so would be interested in seeing how this turns out for you, especially seeing the work -- if any -- that you need to put into the 10D.

I think I might have got gigged on this machine. I was all excited to get my first lathe and didn't know what the hell I was looking at. I didn't inspect it good enough.

I tried to make a video playlist. But not sure my second video will play after the first. It goes into better detail.

Anyway. The first 9 minutes is about the lathe, and the last 9 minutes is about the stuff that came with it so you can skip that,,,lol.

So is this thing savable?

Last edited:
Another Basement shop guy here. I have 3 lathes a mill a surface grinder 2 table saws, welders, and lots of other stuff down there. The mill and the big lathe weigh over 2,500 pounds each.
Overall, I really like having the shop down there, easy access & stable temperature being the big perks. On the downside, low ceiling height and some ongoing moisture issues that need to be addressed. I never had any real complaints from the wife about odors but sometimes noise is an issue, I just try to schedule noisy operations when she's out of the house.
I do TIG & Gas MIG welding in the shop and also braze but keep the oxygen & acetylene tanks outside. Ventilation is currently via a box fan blowing out the side door, when needed.

Here are the threads covering how I got the bigger machines down there.

I don’t do any welding at home period. That was the deal I made with the wife when we built the house. I sold the welders early on. When I do need welding done I take it to a friends commercial shop. He was the welder in the prototype shop at work. The quality of his work is like a jeweler. He can weld anything from sheet aluminum to structural steel and make it look beautiful.

As for odors in the shop. I eat several bean burritos in advance of a long day of work. The wife won’t even open the door and my sense of smell is so bad I hardly notice. On really bad days I know it’s time to evacuate when my eyes start to water.

So is this thing savable?
Looks pretty decent to start with, if you don’t mind a little work. Your gears shouldn’t have that much play though.

Of course!!

Our house is on top of the garage where my machines live. Access to the house is via a stairwell. Like @projectnut I use Oatey Dark Thread Cutting Oil, and have never had complaints from my SO about odors in the house. Noise is a different story.

To keep chips out of the house, I wear a dedicated pair of shoes to work down there.

FWIW, I built a stand for my Atlas, based loosely on the hardwood stands Atlas sold for their their lathes. It's pretty rigid, and the lathe has stayed level for several years.
View attachment 473251
Of course!!

View attachment 473251
I need a favor, can you tell me the inside diameter of the bed where the steady rest mounts. I have a steady from my old lathe i sold a couple of years ago and it wasn’t a atlas casting and i want to make sure it is correctly machined so i can sell it. It appears to be an american casting and not chinese. The casting fooled me, i couldn’t find any casting number on it but it looks nice.

I recently picked up a 1936 Atlas 10D lathe. I was going to set it up in my 1 car garage. But there's really no room. And it's hot out there in the summer. The mosquitoes tear me up. It's cold in the winter. I have to run kerosene heaters. That gets expensive fast. And the biggest problem it would have to be right by the back door that my little dog goes in and out of. He's all ready finding stuff he shouldn't.

Point is I'd really like to put the lathe in my basement and make a shop down there. I have plenty of room. I would just have to make sure not to track the chips upstairs. I figure slip on shoes,,,lol. That being said. My machinist friend thinks I'll stink the house up. I kinda don't agree. Besides. I run all kinds of vintage kerosene heaters and oil lamps from time to time. My house smells a little like kerosene sometimes,,lol. But I just burn a candle.

So anyone have a metal shop with a lathe in the basement? Any regrets? Thanks.

View attachment 473186
I posted these photos somewhere. Not sure if it was this site.
I looked at some stuff at an estate sale last winter.
The owner was something of a hoarder and the entire house was full of machine shop stuff.
And down in the basement was this old 18 or 20 x 42" Monarch.
It was run off a line shaft mounted up in the floor joists - right under the living room and a big old 10? HP motor.
There was too much junk around to get good photos of it but I did get these.
I have no idea how the owner got it in there. The lathe itself must weigh at least 2+ tons plus all the motor, shafting, transmission etc.
And it all had to go down - and up a wooden stairs.

Attachments

• 2024-01-20_11_45_34.jpg
    2024-01-20_11_45_34.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 11
  • 2024-01-20_11_46_00.jpg
    2024-01-20_11_46_00.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 2024-01-20_11_49_06.jpg
    2024-01-20_11_49_06.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 11
  • 2024-01-20_11_50_04.jpg
    2024-01-20_11_50_04.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 11
Ditto. Shop in the basement for many years. No problem with odor or chips. I do not weld.

I have to run a dehumidifier from May to October to keep the humidity down or my tooling would rust.

Back