Anyone ever heard of fake kennedy tool boxes?

shobe9904

Registered
Registered
Not sure if this is the right sub/section for this or not. Apologies if it isn't. Has anyone ever heard of fake or clone kennedy tool boxes? Not a huge concern because i got the box for $70 and it seems to be a decent tool box either way, it seems to be a 520B but it doesn't have the model number decal anywhere (as described by the website) and the logo isn't engraved or anything (idk if it's supposed to be or not. I really don't have any knowledge about tool boxes at all, let alone kennedy specific.) I've attached some photos, maybe one of you will be able to tell if it's legit or not. FWIW i found nothing when trying to search for fake kennedy tool boxes, but you never know these days.
f36613b913ff4396221d575fd102e632.jpg
f76c6f0d33521744d52fae7683ed31a2.jpg
6bde7f1dd9e57136334d18dcb7f0c57c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

looks legit to me.
The decal fell off of one of mine. They get oily, or dry out. I saved mine, but did not remount it. Too oily.

I have 2 genuine 520s, and yours looks good.

My 52611 came out the back door of the factory. That is, not a clone, but not a Kennedy. The logo was supposed to be plastic on that model/year. Instead there are the holes for mounting it. So I have a real machinist's chest for $175.

I also have 2 watchmakers boxes that are no longer made. I'll try to get the model numbers and post them here. And perhaps a picture.

I have 2 genuine 520s, and yours looks good.

My 52611 came out the back door of the factory. That is, not a clone, but not a Kennedy. The logo was supposed to be plastic on that model/year. Instead there are the holes for mounting it. So I have a real machinist's chest for $175.

I also have 2 watchmakers boxes that are no longer made. I'll try to get the model numbers and post them here. And perhaps a picture.
Pics would be nice. A lot of people want the bigger boxes, but I like the Kennedy's for the thin drawers. They hold just enough to not obscure what's below..

I am trying to buy a 2 drawer mid box and a rolling box as well. I hope for a bargoon!

Here's one of the two boxes.

The story is that Kennedy made these for storing and installing watch crystals. It came with nearly 2,000 crystals, each in its own paper envelope. The box my friend kept had "Kennedy' stamped on the back. I assume it was purpose made for Cousins or Burgeron. My friend was gracious to sell me 2 of these:

20240303_211933-sm.jpg

Here's one of the two boxes.

The story is that Kennedy made these for storing and installing watch crystals. It came with nearly 2,000 crystals, each in its own paper envelope. The box my friend kept had "Kennedy' stamped on the back. I assume it was purpose made for Cousins or Burgeron. My friend was gracious to sell me 2 of these:

View attachment 481111
That is gorgeous! I would've loved to get my hands on a 52611.. that deep central drawer would come in very handy for some things i have. Also the deeper bottom drawers too. I really like the box i have (and at $70 i can't complain).. gonna restore it too.. just wish the drawers were SLIGHTLY deeper. As it is they're just barely too shallow to stack 2 mitutoyo cases on top of each other in one drawer. I could take my metrology instruments out of their cases and have a lot more room, but even in the toolbox i feel more comfortable with them in their cases. I got a good deal on them too (~$500 for an 8" absolute caliper. 2 0-1" digimatic mics, 0-3" analog mic set, dial indicator, and dial test indicator) but still that's alot to take chances on.. side note: does anyone know if there's a "proper" say to store a square? I have a 9" starrett square which you can kinda see in the one photo. Is it ok to just leave sit like that, or should i have something holding up the long edge? Since there's like 1/8" hangover of the short edge over the long, it doesn't lay flat.

All of my Kennedy boxes that I purchased new, in Kennedy packaging with Kennedy keys & locks (I got replacement locks from the factory so they are all keyed-alike) have a stenciled logo on the top and a plastic label inside the lid:

Kennedy Signature.jpeg Kennedy Sticker.jpeg
And, NO, @shobe9904 , you can't have my 52611or my same vintage 526 (8 drawer, different label):

Kennedy 526 Label.jpeg
Labels are inside the one of the drawers on my 80's MC28 & 5150 bases and 273, 297 & 202VC cabinets (the 202VC, which they apparently don't make anymore, is a 20" wide 2-drawer with a bottom compartment mounted on a cart which accommodates the 297 – or other 29" – cabinet). My unknown age 2nd hand (probably 90's) 526 & MC28 don't have labels, but did have Kennedy locks.

My 1980's stuff I got on sale plus a deep discount for I think less than $500 in 1982; the 2nd hand items I picked up on FBMP 2 years ago for $50. Photos included in this post on HSM, so it did happen!

I am trying to buy a 2 drawer mid box and a rolling box as well. I hope for a bargoon!
I see this and raise you two! :grin: That looks like a real Kennedy Shobe also . :encourage:

on.. side note: does anyone know if there's a "proper" say to store a square? I have a 9" starrett square which you can kinda see in the one photo. Is it ok to just leave sit like that, or should i have something holding up the long edge? Since there's like 1/8" hangover of the short edge over the long, it doesn't lay flat
That looks damn familiar Shane ! :grin: The square as all other tools were in a foam cut out . If I had known , I would have shipped it .

Edit . You have more stuff coming , forgot about that . The foam is still downstairs and you can trim it up to suit that box .

Back