Anybody "in the Colonies" purchased from Hemingway Kits?

I bought some plans for the cone clutch tailstock die holder. They we very pleased to sell just the plans as I can source the materials locally as no castings were involved. Very quick e-mail replies, shipping and arrival of the plans. International shipping is getting to be prohibitive except from China on ebay. Same item on Alibaba will quote 10X the shipping as eBay.

I am finishing their floating reamer holder and just finished their scissors gnurling tool. Their plans are good, but the directions are kind of scattered. I had a question that I asked by email and got a very quick response. I'm happy with the projects.

...David

I know this is an old thread, but I have two Hemingway kits, a “set over center” and a “tailstock die holder”. I’m generally pleased with the total cost of the kits, the clarity of drawings and the design concepts The tailstock die holder is especially clever, and I have not seen a completed equivalent. The instructions are minimal, so you do need some judgment on order of operations.

One somewhat annoying habit is how the plans mix metric, imperial, decimals and fractions. It would be so much easier sticking to either metric or imperial decimals. Same with threads…either metric or UN threads…the current kit calls for a 7/8-26 thread. It’s easy enough to change, but…unnecessary.

Another point: The kits are really that…mostly raw stock. With even a modest inventory, one could probably source most or all of the material. An exception is a machinable MT2 or MT3 taper…but this could also be made as a subgoal, or sourced otherwise.

Otherwise these kits are really usable when completed, amusing and satisfying in use.

Back in the day the “s” was not required unlike today due to the failure of security in OS.
Pierre

Back in the day the “s” was not required unlike today due to the failure of security in OS.
Pierre
I think you've failed to understand what that S really does and why not having it before was lunacy... It's nothing to do with OS security and everything to do with keeping communication between any two things on the web truly private. There are a myriad of reason it's now the default. Not least of all, keeping online payments secure.

I've built a couple of Hemingway kits, which have been good. They've also been super helpful supplying replacement castings for a Quorn kit they didn't originally supply, which speaks volumes. The drawings for the kits I made were generally good but had been revised to metric, which pleased me (but may not please those living in the past). For our friends across the pond: with the pound being in tatters it's quite a good time to be buying from the UK! For the more basic kits, which don't use cast or pre-machined parts like special tapers, threads or gears, you may be best off ordering drawings and sourcing stock and hardware locally.

I know about security. Anything invented by man can be defeated by man or nature.
Pierre

Okay, maybe I’m just dense (no comments from the peanut gallery), but you lost me with the “s” thing. What does "s" or security or whatever have to do with the OP's inquiry about Hemingway kits?

Tom

Back