Anybody "in the Colonies" purchased from Hemingway Kits?

arvidj

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am interested in several of their kits ... http://www.hemingwaykits.com/.

Their website implies they "export" and provides information about how they package the items and the shippers they might use but they do not provide any details. I've sent several emails asking about shipping costs but have not gotten so much as a "don't bother us" response.

Anyone "in the Colonies" [as they put it] have any experience with them?

Thanks,
Arvid

Well Im in "the colonies" but I think its the wrong hemisphere for them

Cheers Phil

Looks very interesting, I have been pondering about building an internal combustion engine for many decades. some day.

If you get brave enough to try them AND have good results, please let me know. That rotary broach looks extremely interesting to me.

Lots of specialty web sites like this one are maintained by someone with a real life. The person just checks once in a while for new orders and then sends them out.

Well Im in "the colonies" but I think its the wrong hemisphere for them

Cheers Phil

Interesting. Given that I live in the United States I assumed that is what they were referring with "in the colonies". It did not occur to me that there were many places around the globe that also were\still are part of the British Empire.

I am asking "the other colonies" to accept my apology and will clarify that the question is was originally referring to the continental United States.

Having seen the error of my myopic perspective, maybe I should broaden the scope of the question in an effort to determine if Hemingway ignores requests from all colonies equally?

Has anyone, anywhere dealt with Hemingway recently? If so, by what method did you interact with them?

Arvid

I ordered the Retracting Tool holder kit a while back. I did post some pictures few years ago about it. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/1986-Retracting-tool-holder

Very fast email responses and shipping was near the same as the kit cost. Not surprising since the metal has some weight and the long toss over the pond. The owner used to live in the US, Eastern seaboard I believe.
Pierre

I am just about finished their kit for the Worden tool and cutter grinder.
I have built the basic grinder, the diamond wheel change parts and the slitting saw jig.
Drawings are well done, material is OK (normal complaint for me with kits of all sorts - dealing with little bits of material instead of more normal lengths)
Parts are complete with springs and fasteners.
Strange mix of inch and metric dimensions and parts.

Some photos attached of the grinder.

image.jpg
Grinder table and lathe tool holder.

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

I finally got a response from Hemingway ...

----------
Mr. Jedlicka,
Thanks for your note and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
Our shipping rates to the USA are:

Note that I provided the Conversion column. Hemingway is not responsible for these values.
It is based on exchange rates available on Google as of 07:14 am CST, February 15th, 2015.
I am sure all of these values are 'dynamic' and not etched in concrete.
Best to think of them as guidelines ... 'etched in firm jello' if you will.

Band Cost (GBP) Conversion
2Kg £ 26.28 $40.47
2 - 5kg £ 34.00 $52.35
5 - 10kg £ 47.00 $72.37
10 - 15kg £ 62.00 $95.47
15 - 25kg £ 84.50 $130.12

If you’ve got an order that falls just into the next band (say 15.2kg…)let me know and I’ll try to get a better quote. What items are you interested in?
Best regards,
Kirk H Burwell
Hemingway Kits

Last edited:
I purchased the drawings and write-up for the G.H. Thomas Retracting Toolholder so I wouldn't have to pay shipping metal across the pond. They were very accommodating and shipped quickly. The drawings are very nice quality.

Matt

Back