Any Use For An Old Rifle Barrel?

Occasionally I do have to throw out some stuff......I haven't found a good use for swarf yet...;)

Reactions: ome
Is there something wrong with the barrel ?

Some of us out there are hAppy to use second hand barrels , especially savage barrels as they are so easy to change and head space

The only thing wrong with it is that it doesn't reach out there far enough. I got the rifle just for the action, to build a long range plinker. Giving serious thought to .338 Edge with a long barrel and barrel block. May go with .264 WinMag.

Lots of great ideas in the replies, though. Things I never would have thought of.

i wouldn't be so fast to discount the 7mm mag as a long range plinker , there is a huge selection of bullets out there for it ( much more so then either the .338 or .264 )
and the 7mm has excellent ballistics with heavier bullets having a high bc . and it has plenty of case capacity .
granted it does give up quite a bit to to the 338's but i am not convinced it gives up much of anything to a .264 ... but as a fellow shooter i do understand about the heart wanting what the heart wants .
and the very common 7mm mag doesn't have quite the sex appeal as the 338's and such .

how about another suggestion for the barrel ..... keep it . and turn it into a cast bullet barrel for pure fun and enjoyment .
with a 140-170 grain gas checked bullet and slow bulky and cheaper surplus powders such as wc 860 to take advantage of the case capacity you might find it to be rather fun
and easier on the shoulder to shoot .

failing all of that ... if you really have no interest in using it i would pop it into the mail and send it my way for a loving new home .....

really though ... no reason to scrap a perfectly good barrel , sell it on ebay or gun broker and recoup some of your investment .
at the very least it will buy you reloading dies and some components for what ever you decide to go with .

My friend uses the old barrels as a basis for making 18th. C. powder measures,which he sells. Also,washers are handily made from bits of barrels. Most other uses have been mentioned. I do think they are worth saving as raw material.

Reactions: ome
Any use for tapered stainless with a rifled hole through it? Other than cutting it down and using it for a home made single shot pistol, I can't think of much.

The ultimate recycle... a tomato stake. :grin:

Or, if you have any friends who reload for 7mm, you might ask them if they could use it as a chamber gauge like derf mentioned.

Tom

It has been quite a while but I think Remington 700 used to be purchased by hobby smiths building custom Mauser rifles. They would turn down and rethread the receiver to fit the Mauser receiver. Mauser receivers come in large ring and small ring. Large ring have a shank diameter of 1.10", small ring are .980" shank diameter. Both are 12 TPI, 55 degree Whitworth.

Remington take off barrels use to sell for $25.

I have used worn out Mauser barrels, painted fluorescent orange, as survey stakes and , unpainted, as an axle for hanging wire spools on when running electrical wire. You can hang three or four 500' wire spools at a time on a Mauser barrel.

Vlad

Great for bushing remington 700 bolt faces when installing sako or m-16 style extractors. Can be used to make pillars for stock bedding

If you decide to get rid of it I might be interested. I've got an old Savage action and nice stock, a 280 Ackley Improved reamer and boxes of 280 brass.

Back