Any recommendations for decent inch/metric 6" dial calipers?

I would suggest you consider something like the Igaging Absolute Digital calipers, I have had mine for over 10 years and it is very accurate and always maintains zero. It does inch, metric and fractions which can be handy sometimes. Batteries typically last 1-2 years, and I always keep a few spares around and typically the display gets weaker when the batteries are going but it still works. They also have a fixture for using it as a depth gauge. At $45-50, best set of calipers I have used and compares to my Mitutoyo which I have in a larger size. My vision is also starting to go so having clear digital display is preferable over a dial in this application.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, I really appreciate it! :)

I like the ones that have both at the same time because I work with inch and metric and it's nice to be able to tell at a glance if what I'm measuring is in mm or inches. It's a small inconvenience and effort to switch over the digital calipers from inch to metric, but I do like being able to tell at a glance if what I'm measuring is metric or not.

I have a few calipers bookmarked at various websites. I saw some vernier Mitutoyo's on Epay for about $30. They are harder to read, but I kinda like the "old school" method.

I have some digital calipers (Vinca) that have been pretty good. They are off about 0.001" when measured with my little gauge pin. They also have an auto on/off feature.

The ones I dropped don't seem to be adjustable. The inch and metric pointers are not even pointing in the same direction. I guess it can't hurt to try to take them apart.

I must be living a charmed life. I have about six digital calipers, a couple of Mitutoyos but the others are the cheap as chips variety.
I use all of them and in two years I’ve replaced exactly one battery.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with multiple calipers! I have one at the mill, one at the lathe (had, that's the one I dropped), one in my tool box and one in my office. I got tired of misplacing them and having to carry them all over (My machines are spread out). I wasn't gonna buy 4 pairs of really nice ones, so I bought cheaper ones. I really should spring for at least one really nice one, since I use them all the time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with multiple calipers! I have one at the mill, one at the lathe (had, that's the one I dropped), one in my tool box and one in my office. I got tired of misplacing them and having to carry them all over (My machines are spread out). I wasn't gonna buy 4 pairs of really nice ones, so I bought cheaper ones. I really should spring for at least one really nice one, since I use them all the time.
I bought my cheapies new and my expensive used. Most I paid was $40 for an 8" Mits that had been recently calibrated. That and my digital Starrett 0-1" mic are my most expensive instruments.

The frequent battery replacement issue may well be solved by making sure to use silver oxide batteries. The lifespan difference in calipers is pretty amazing, and the cost is not ridiculous.

@ARC-170 I have a Mit analog Vernier that reads in both in and mm. I love it when I have to be sure. For daily use I own 2 Igauging absolute calipers. they are cheap, accurate, and also do fractions - for the times I need to get the right collet for an end mill.

Just this month, I got a, older 8" Mit digital (the non-absolute type) for free, and bought a brand new Mit absolute caliper. I'll still use the igauging ones daily, but when I have to be sure I reach for the new Mit digital or my 42 year old Mit analog vernier.

Someone needs to bring out a digital with round screen that could also show a simulated dial readout. I’m sure the electronic tech would be trivial.

P.S. I’d like a modest royalty.

So I go to use the digital pair I have and the battery is dead! I think I may get some analog vernier ones I saw and also spring for a nice one that I keep in the house and use when accuracy is important.

I tried fixing the ones I dropped. I got it all apart and was able to line up the two needles but they immediately got off again when I used the calipers. I'm not sure if the gears have to be in a certain place, but it's not worth it to fiddle with anymore. So much for being "shock proof".

Back