Any recommendations for decent inch/metric 6" dial calipers?

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Yes, I'm aware that digital calipers will read both, but I don't want digital ones, I want dial ones. I have some cheap ones, but am wondering if there are better ones out there. I'd like something that reads both inch and metric at the same time on the dial. I found some Fowler ones (72-030-006-0) for about $45 and I have some Anytime Tools one I got for about $25 (I think) on Ebay. I dropped the Anytime Tools ones:bang head:, so they are no longer accurate, hence my request. I'm pretty sure that ANY caliper will not survive a 36" drop off the table, so I have no expectations that anything out there will stand up to that, but I would like some decent ones. I use micrometers when I want accuracy; the calipers are for getting it close, measuring stock, etc. Starrett and Mitutoyo don't seem to make dual-reading dial calipers.

I have some calipers I bought about 25 years ago that are still good, but there is no brand or any other ID marks on them or the case.

Let me know if there's something else out there or if I'm stuck with the cheap ones.

Don't know about a dual reading dial caliper. I have an old Starrett vernier caliper that has both metric and imperial. Not easy to read with my old eyes. Need a magnifying glass sometimes to read the vernier scale. Sorry that's not much help.

Have you tried to adjust your caliper. My craftsman dial caliper came with instructions and a little tool to adjust it. I also found that even a little bit of grit that you can't even see will throw it off. Could be all it needs is a careful cleaning.

I have these from Lee Valley, Imperial and metric on the dial. Don’t know how they would compare with your Fowler or other “cheap ones” but I’m happy enough with them. Had them for about 15 or 20 years now.

-frank

7EEF68BF-9C0D-43EE-8A78-75A4C6C97FCA.png

Jeff, I know you said you want an analog caliper and I get it. I used them for over 30 years but now I know that the easiest and most accurate way to have both Imperial and Metric reading that is balls-on accurate is to go with a good digital caliper. I have multiple Mit and Starret calipers and an Etalon 6" caliper that is a Cadillac but for speed and accuracy, my Mit digital is hard to beat. As I get older and my vision gets worse, that digital caliper will reduce mistakes.

I too really like dual view dial calipers for their instant read capability. I have a Japanese made Fowler caliper that I believe NSK made for them.

Shars makes a pair that I plan to purchase if the Fowler even takes a ding. Good luck!

The thing that I dislike about digital calipers is constantly having to change the batteries. Seemed to never fail that I would be in the middle of a project and the battery would bite the dust. My digital caliper has been retired to the dust bin.

I must be living a charmed life. I have about six digital calipers, a couple of Mitutoyos but the others are the cheap as chips variety.
I use all of them and in two years I’ve replaced exactly one battery.

My Mitu digital has gone over 10 years on the same batt and gets used constantly. My eye's aren't what they once were either, and at least for me, wouldn't think about going back to analog. Mike

I see it as both styles having merit. Put me down in the analog camp tho
3deb058614a8557fcc7a32d852233dc8.jpg

I like the form factor of the older (but not ancient) mit dial in my hand. The newer style dials with the ergo plastic curves not so much. Admittedly the eyesight is not what it used to be and yes there’s the occasional fiddling to zero the dial.
This one is still serving desk duty in engineering for 29 yrs now. I have an identical unit in the home shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back